"FIOS Local" stations have been replaced by a Comcast customer announcement (Wrentham, MA)
Quandris

Late last week my FIOS local stations (cable plugged directly into wall) dissappeared and were replaced with a COMCAST spokes-dude explaining that I will need to obtain a digital set-top box, offering explanations, etc ... and the address: http://www.comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo

Basically saying that the local channels through Comcast are now encrypted and you need a box to decode.

Ok, that's fine, but we are FIOS customers and do not pay for any Comcast services whatsoever.

I tried unsucessfully to explain this to FIOS Customer Service Help Online Chat Guy "David", he tried to tell me that it was my TV (quite new.), the coax (nope.), try rescanning 5 times for channels (no.).... "You will need a set-top box."  Really? Because the channels were all fine yesterday, David – and I find it a bit odd they were replaced by a Comcast announcement. Furthermore, David – don't you find it slightly unlikely, your theory suggesting that suddenly every local broadcaster has ceased broadcasting, and that The Only Solution is to rent a box from FIOS?

Anyway, David was clearly not using english as a first language, so you'll understand why I ended our chat. 

Today I called Comcast, and they were quite helpful, and confused that I should have this issue at all – the nice lady did confirm that they started to require the set-top boxes for their Limited Basic customers in MA and recently had started making the change in my county.  She suggested though that there was not much they can do on their end, and that I should contact FIOS again. 

Maybe the forum monitors will be more helpful? Any ideas?  A crossed wire somewhere?  (oh, and I did confirm that all stations are still broadcasting via my handy antenna)

0 Likes
Re: "FIOS Local" stations have been replaced ...
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Quandris wrote:

Late last week my FIOS local stations (cable plugged directly into wall) dissappeared and were replaced with a COMCAST spokes-dude explaining that I will need to obtain a digital set-top box, ... we are FIOS customers and do not pay for any Comcast services whatsoever.

... Any ideas?  A crossed wire somewhere? ...  (... I did confirm that all stations are still broadcasting via my handy antenna) ...

Actually you may have answered your own question ( and I also may be way off base on this one, but ...).  It's likely that the coax attached directly to the TV (without an STB or digital converter) functions as a makeshift antenna.

Digital signals are fairly easy to get OTA.  If you are connected to your coax wiring network (and I presume there are many feet of coax in your network), it's indeed possible to pick up local digital OTA with some success.

0 Likes