"New" QIP-7216 P1 restarts repeatedly
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I requested upgrades to get off of my 6416 MR DVD, and at the same time upgraded one standard STB to an HD DVR.

When I received my shipment it was a pair of supposedly new QIP-7216 P1's. I replaced the DVR furthest from the router, and that 7216 works fine.

I replaced the one closest to the router, and that one restarts very frequently (as often as multiple times in ten minutes, as infrequently as one every couple of hours) and the box would not activate.

Significant time with tech support via chat revealed that one of the DVRs had not been set as a hub (so they were probably arguing with each other). And that my coax connection feeding the problematic box had possibly been loose.

We finished the night with both boxes recording and working.

The next day, my family reported that the box was restarting every five minutes or so. I got two hours with it uninterrupted, then it restarted.

Today it restarted five times in fifteen minutes, and stayed in startup for a significant period of time (hard drive making sounds, self-checking?)

When the box finished loading, I could run self-diags and system info:

My self-diagnostics read:

RF connection

OOB S/N ration 23db

Cable subscription Successful

Network Connection

LAN: (shows IP address in green)

WAN (shows IP address in green)

Gateway: Successful (shows IP in green as well)

DNS: Successful

EPG server: Successful

Widget Server: Successful

FiOS TV Remote DVR: Listener 1 Started

Packages: (shows all my packages expected in green)

System Information

Release 19

Build 10.95

Data Object Version: 30.95

Platform ID: QIP-7216 P1

Unit address:  <number here>

Guide data days available: 3

IP address <expected IP>

EPG region: 3405 VHO ID: 3304

CPE zip code: 20176

I saw another thread talking about bad ONTs degrading over time. However, the problematic box is reporting 23db so I assume my signal is strong enough (or at least, most of the time).

I'm currently on the ethernet port of the verizon router (not the coax), but am still using the old actiontec router (coax is still connected, moca bridge is set up).

The reboots seem to happen more often when the box is underneath the tv, or on an enclosed shelf, so thermal might be a problem. I currently have it up on end due to space limitations, with the feet facing a wall, the clock on the side, and the top and left side vents open to air.

The original (2000 series standard STB) has already been sent back, so reverting to the old box isn't option.

0 Likes
Re: "New" QIP-7216 P1 restarts repeatedly
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The rebooting of the box has nothing to do with the ONT. Please make sure nothing is sitting directly on top of the box. If those vent holes are blocked then the box will overheat. The box will reset itself if it gets too hot. If you give the box more ventilation and its still happening, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
DaveC21

Hey Anthony, I'm having the same problem.  In addition my HD DVR will freeze during playback, seemingly during the same point in the TV show.  I doubt heat is an issue because the DVR is not in an enclosed area and it does not have anything on top of it.  I tried to PM you, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.  By the way, this is our second HD DVR in less than 3 months.  Our first one was replaced because it wasn't recording scheduled shows, despite them being in the schedule and no conflicts being present.

0 Likes
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3

No resolution yet. Anthony's last was on the 11th, no reply to my reply to him.

The last mention from Verizon was that the 7216s had higher signal requirements. I reported that the self-check shows green at 23db S/N ratio. I also think it's crazy to have a box that would actually just reboot itself if the signal strength dropped too low, but that seems to be what they're suggesting.

From parents, I've heard that there are rumors that this is not an uncommon problem with this model currently, and that some people have just repeatedly replaced them until they found one that did NOT reboot repeatedly. I may try that next.

0 Likes