"Phantom" Entries in DVR Index
Orienteer

Hello,

Using a CHS 453HDC DVR.

Had a problem awhile back where many recordings stored on the external hard drive would not play. When we hit play for the problem entries, the STB would instead revert to showing the last tuned live station. No indication of any problem just play live TV rather than the recording. Further, if we attempt to delete these "bad" entries from the index, absolutely nothing happens. 

More recently, we ran into a problem where the DVR was not buffering live TV. 

I disconnected the external hard drive, through the on-screen menus, then rebooted the STB, after the reboot, the internal drive showed ZERO recordings. Ouch!!!!!

Plugged the external drive back in, and can see and play (most) recordings stored on the external drive. The strange part is that I am now seeing lots of entries for old recordings that had been stored on the internal drive. If I try to play any of these old recordings from the internal drive, screen reverts to live TV. If I try to delete any of these old recordings from the internal drive, nothing happens. If I disconnect the external drive, the DVR index shows only new entries (recorded since I lost everything from the internal drive). 

Question is: Is there anything I can do to get rid of the apparently invalid entries for recordings??? I could just leave the external drive disconnected, but I actually want to be able to access the playable content from the external drive. Want to get rid of only the invalid entries from the index. 

Have a ticket open with support. Waiting for the callback, but figured I would ask for advice here as well. 

Also: Does anyone have any suggestions for how to recover the recordings that suddenly disappeared from the internal drive? In the old days, on a Windows PC, I might have tried an "undelete" program on a problem drive. Would love a similar option for our DVR internal drive...

Stephen

0 Likes
Re: "Phantom" Entries in DVR Index
Orienteer

Hello again,

Looking further in DVR menus:

"Phantom" entry for recording that had been stored on internal drive that I deleted from DVR index a little while ago appears in the History and Manage Deletions sub-menus. E.g. I am given the options to "Restore" or "Remove from DVR" under the Manage Deletions menu, but the entry was NOT removed from the main index. (Entries that I deleted that had been on the external hard drive were removed from the main recording index immediately after I requested the deletion; the "phantom" entry for a recording that had been on the internal hard drive remains in the main recording index.) 

Stephen

0 Likes
Re: "Phantom" Entries in DVR Index
Orienteer

Received a callback from support. Attempted a remote reset (disconnect/reconnect) of our DVR, but problem persists. 

Offering a replacement with a newer model (VMS 4100), but of course, would lose access to everything on our old external drive, as content on old external drive is accessible only from old DVR. 

I asked about an option where I could keep the old DVR for playback only and use the new DVR for recording new content, but was told that the system would not allow this.

If I need to give up all my old DVR content, I will consider making the switch to a different provider. 

Stephen

0 Likes