"SD Overide" Video settings
jebinc
Enthusiast - Level 3
Went accessing the "SD override" options (in tne menu setup area) there are several choices (480i, 480p, stretch, and none). I'm trying to understand the difference between the 480p and stretch options.  both "fill" the 16:9 screen. I can't really tell which offers better picture quality, however.  The only noticable difference is the size oof the menu guide.  When 480p is selected, the guide in much larger than the "stretch" option.  When "stretch" is selected, the guide remains the same size as when in HD mode (smaller).  So, when viewing SD channels, does 480p or stretch yield a better picture (on a 16:9 TV)?  What's the real difference?  What setting do you use, and why?
0 Likes
Re: "SD Overide" Video settings
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The simple answer is use the one that looks the best on your TV to you. Every user likes their TV picture a certain way so adjust the 4:3 Overide to the way YOU like it.
0 Likes
Re: "SD Overide" Video settings
Justin46
Legend

jebinc,

I have 4:3 Override set to OFF. The reason is, I use HDMI, and every time I changed from an SD channel to an HD channel, or vice versa, with it set to anything other than OFF, there was a long delay doing the switch because of the HDMI handshake (you could see it on the leds on the DVR, there was a blink every timethe handshake occurred). Setting it to OFF means that all channels are sent by the HD box to the TV in 1080i. The SD picture on my Sony LCD seems a little worse that way, but I got rid of the delay so I live with it.

I think telcoguru is correct, pick the option that you are happiest with and go with it. Try them all, with your particular TV and STB one may stand out as best for you. 

And FWIW, only the STRETCH option fills my screen on the SD channels, all of the others have bars on the side (which is the way I like it, I cannot stand the distortion of a stretched picture, but that is just me). I don't think it makes any difference to how this all works, but I still have the 1.5 version of the IMG.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Re: "SD Override" Video settings
loopy

CAN"T STAND A STRETCHED PICTURE. 

That is the one pet peeve I have that drives me nuts.

TNT and USA HD channels show movies if HD but they use the 4:3 movies and stretch them to 16:9.  Why do they do this?  They have access to the movie, why show the pan and scan versions?

I know some people who say Well I bought this TV, it's widescreen, so I want to use up all of the display.

I'm always OK with the SD channels looking correct even though there are bars on the side.

I can remember a friend's dad complaining on his old 4:3 TV, watching the Godfather and complaining about the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

It took forever to explain to him why it was like that.  So this is about the same type of situation to explain all over again. 

So if you want to use up the whole screen, subscribe to an HD package and watch the HD in 16:9 with that.

My 2 cents

-Mark

Pittsburgh, PA

0 Likes