"occasional" STB freeze during DVR playback (VMS4100 DVR)
PON-MAN

Over the last several months my FIOS STB (VMS4100 DVR) will freeze during DVR playback. It is also happening more frequently lately. I don't seem to have a freeze problem during "live" TV (but most of our consumption is DVR time-shift rather than live so ... .).

Earlier today I initiated a chat session with VZN support that ended up with someone in technical support. The remote agent's diagnostic toolbox appears to be limited to initiation of a remote reset to ONU/ONT followed by a query as to whether that action resolved the issue. Based on my assumption that VZN staff had remote access to (what I assumed to exist) internal to STB status, diagnostic, maintenance, QoS, and/or QoE info/registers/logs I requested what the agent could "see" remotely. Based on the response it appears that the remote tech support staff fly blind. 

1) Is the STB freeze during DVR playback a common problem for VMS4100 DVR?

2) Any feedback from the informed user/customer community regarding the extent (if any) of internal to STB status, diagnostic, maintenance, QoS, and/or QoE info/registers/logs?

3) Any feedback from the informed user/customer community regarding experience with VZN support staff remotely accessing info in (2) above?

4) Any experience with resolving this (other than switching to Dish or xfinity)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "occasional" STB freeze during DVR playback (VMS4100 DVR)
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PON-MAN wrote:

Over the last several months my FIOS STB (VMS4100 DVR) will freeze during DVR playback. It is also happening more frequently lately. I don't seem to have a freeze problem during "live" TV (but most of our consumption is DVR time-shift rather than live so ... .).

Earlier today I initiated a chat session with VZN support that ended up with someone in technical support. The remote agent's diagnostic toolbox appears to be limited to initiation of a remote reset to ONU/ONT followed by a query as to whether that action resolved the issue. Based on my assumption that VZN staff had remote access to (what I assumed to exist) internal to STB status, diagnostic, maintenance, QoS, and/or QoE info/registers/logs I requested what the agent could "see" remotely. Based on the response it appears that the remote tech support staff fly blind. 

2) Any feedback from the informed user/customer community regarding the extent (if any) of internal to STB status, diagnostic, maintenance, QoS, and/or QoE info/registers/logs?

3) Any feedback from the informed user/customer community regarding experience with VZN support staff remotely accessing info in (2) above?

4) Any experience with resolving this (other than switching to Dish or xfinity)?

Did you call on a weekend? If so you got a level one tech. There is the ability to do an advanced diagnostic on the box remotely, but your problem had to be escalated to a level 2 tech or above. Obviously that didn't happen. I assume you are watching from the VMS not the IPC. You can go into menu>settings>system information and look at the SNR values there. I'd also try menu>customer support>top support tools>fix fios TV issues and go for it. Also while there try launching self diagnostics. I assume you've tried unplugging power to the VMS, waiting for at least 3 minutes then plugging power back in. If all that fails, try tech support again, ask to get escalated to higher level tech. Also call during normal business hours, Monday-Friday.

View solution in original post

Re: "occasional" STB freeze during DVR playback (VMS4100 DVR)
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PON-MAN wrote:

Did you call on a weekend? If so you got a level one tech. There is the ability to do an advanced diagnostic on the box remotely, but your problem had to be escalated to a level 2 tech or above. Obviously that didn't happen. I assume you are watching from the VMS not the IPC. You can go into menu>settings>system information and look at the SNR values there. I'd also try menu>customer support>top support tools>fix fios TV issues and go for it. Also while there try launching self diagnostics. I assume you've tried unplugging power to the VMS, waiting for at least 3 minutes then plugging power back in. If all that fails, try tech support again, ask to get escalated to higher level tech. Also call during normal business hours, Monday-Friday.