self- install successful - FiOS 300/300 internet only set up with my own router. Now... FiOS TV
lolOptimumOL

Switching from many years of Cablevisions. Optimum Online, Altice. I watched the posted community videos with hookup variations for ONTs, internet only, and TV etc.

I decided I would do this in pieces, with the internet, the easy part, first. Done!

I have the black model ONT mounted inside my house. The internet FiOS self-install was easy because I just plugged in the ethernet cable and my wireless was up and running in minutes.

Now FiOS TV:

First, I have never used channel guides OR video-on-demand VOD on Cablevision. So I don't need that functionality.

So... can I just take the old CablevisionOOL Coaxial cable coming into my house, that is just inches away from my Verizon ONT, cut it, terminate it and screw it into my ONT?

Because the coaxial cable goes everywhere I want in my house and I would just have to attach the new FiOS boxes in place of my old cable boxes. Does this work, is there anything "broken" by not giving it internet access looping it back from an used Verizon router? Basically, I don't want to deal with finding a used router etc.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: self- install successful - FiOS 300/300 internet only set up with my own router. Now... FiOS TV
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others have noted, you need a Verizon router as primary to get the latest boxes working.  Even though you say you don't care about the guide, the boxes need the guide to work.  That's how they know what channels you're subscribed to, how to map channel numbers to specific MPEG2/4 transport streams, and much more.  The boxes simply don't work if they don't have an internet link to Verizon's network.

The correct way to solve this problem is to buy a used G1100 online for well under $50, make it primary, turn off it's WiFi and then stick your preferred router behind it.  Then, the Verizon set-top-boxes will be happy and  you'll have your preferred router running your home network.

The G1100 is also a decent router in it's own right.  Depending on what your needs are, you may find it works for you.  I'm still using my many years old G1100 as primary with a TP-Link mesh network behind it.  Works great for my needs!  And I've gigabit service with several Verizon set-top-boxes.

You could also forgo the Verizon set-top-boxes and use a TiVO.  You'll need to rent cable cards from Verizon, but they don't need a Verizon router to work.  Some people love this approach.

And, you can plug the coax from the ONT directly into a cable ready TV.  This isn't great, as it only gets you the unencrypted channels, so no premiums.  Channel numbers are funky with this approach, and could change if Verizon re-arranges RF channels or transport streams.  Very few people use this option.

View solution in original post

Re: self- install successful - FiOS 300/300 internet only set up with my own router. Now... FiOS TV
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You still need a Verizon router to activate the STBs. Fios TV One likes to see a Verizon route on its path. IPC's not so much.

lolOptimumOL

Once the STBs are activated then it never needs to be done again. For instance prolonged power outage or something similar?  I guess I need STBs anyway so I should just setup an install.

What's an IPC?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lolOptimumOL wrote:

Once the STBs are activated then it never needs to be done again. For instance prolonged power outage or something similar?  I guess I need STBs anyway so I should just setup an install.

What's an IPC?

IPC is the mini box, or client box and needs a VMS (Video Media Server)to operate. The other thing you need to check is that any splitters in the signal path are MOCA 2.0 certified, or they'll not pass the signal correctly. You can switch out the Fios router after authorization, but will need it again to do any updates, so it makes sense to get one. You could save some $$ by getting an 1100 unit. It isn't hard to self install, just need to run ethernet from ONT to Fios router, coax to MOCA 2.0 splitter from ONT, one leg from splitter to Fios router, the other to the VMS . You probably have the coax already setup from previous installs, just check the splitters.

lolOptimumOL

Do I gain much by going with a G3100 future-wise, besides blowing cash? I see the ethernet ports are 1 Gbs for both the G1100 and G3100, but internet over coax would be a theoretical 2.5Gbs for internet. But I'm currently using ethernet anyway. 

But, for TV, the G1100 would be completely sufficient. And in the event FiOS gets some kind of multi-gig speeds, I'd have to re-do everything anyway to enable multi-gig speeds. 

I'll start checking ebay.

I'll have to look for compatible MOCA splitters.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those STBs only have MoCA 2.0 unbonded or even 1.1. A G1100 is more than enough. If you want G3100's WiFi 6, then go with G3100. I tested it and it can deliver over 800Mbps on WiFi 6 to an IPhone SE (2020).

lolOptimumOL

Thanks for your help.

I'll go G1100 because I still need to use the mesh wifi I have. Plus, ebay prices are pretty close to nothing for those.

0 Likes
lolOptimumOL

Is this connection diagram still valid? 

Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier) Verizon FiOS FAQ | DSLRepo...

If so, that would be great because I can place a used G1100 next to, and connect it to my internet/wifi router in the living room, which is by the TV coax cable. I would have two STBs I would have to install for FIOS TV.

(Note, I don't need/use DVR or really anything else, if that matters.)

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lolOptimumOL wrote:

Is this connection diagram still valid? 

Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier) Verizon FiOS FAQ | DSLRepo...

If so, that would be great because I can place a used G1100 next to, and connect it to my internet/wifi router in the living room, which is by the TV coax cable. I would have two STBs I would have to install for FIOS TV.

(Note, I don't need/use DVR or really anything else, if that matters.)

That might work, but I'm not sure if the Fios router has to be the primary. If you can't authorize the boxes, you'll know the Fios router has to be the primary. The coax has to connect to the ONT,  go to a splitter, from there one leg goes to the 1100, the other to your main Fios box (VMS). However you work that out with the existing coax is your job! Just make sure there aren't any other splitters between the ONT and the Fios Router.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of STB do you have? Fios TV One or VMS? Fios TV One would like to see a Verizon router as the primary. VMS seems to be serviceable with Verizon router as the second NAT.

You might need to do some port forwarding on your primary router in order for the LAN to WAN connection to work as described on DSLReports.