Re: self- install successful - FiOS 300/300 internet only set up with my own router. Now... FiOS TV
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others have noted, you need a Verizon router as primary to get the latest boxes working.  Even though you say you don't care about the guide, the boxes need the guide to work.  That's how they know what channels you're subscribed to, how to map channel numbers to specific MPEG2/4 transport streams, and much more.  The boxes simply don't work if they don't have an internet link to Verizon's network.

The correct way to solve this problem is to buy a used G1100 online for well under $50, make it primary, turn off it's WiFi and then stick your preferred router behind it.  Then, the Verizon set-top-boxes will be happy and  you'll have your preferred router running your home network.

The G1100 is also a decent router in it's own right.  Depending on what your needs are, you may find it works for you.  I'm still using my many years old G1100 as primary with a TP-Link mesh network behind it.  Works great for my needs!  And I've gigabit service with several Verizon set-top-boxes.

You could also forgo the Verizon set-top-boxes and use a TiVO.  You'll need to rent cable cards from Verizon, but they don't need a Verizon router to work.  Some people love this approach.

And, you can plug the coax from the ONT directly into a cable ready TV.  This isn't great, as it only gets you the unencrypted channels, so no premiums.  Channel numbers are funky with this approach, and could change if Verizon re-arranges RF channels or transport streams.  Very few people use this option.

Re: self- install successful - FiOS 300/300 internet only set up with my own router. Now... FiOS TV
lolOptimumOL

"..What kind of STB do you have? Fios TV One or VMS? Fios TV One would like to see a Verizon router as the primary. VMS seems to be serviceable with Verizon router as the second NAT..."

I don't have any boxes yet, I'm trying to figure out how to do this changeover to setup FiOS TV how I want.  If I do this, I would probably still have OOL service while I try to hookup FiOS service. If it doesn't work I'll revert it back to OOL so there's TV service. 

The boxes would be just what I need to have TV. I don't do DVR or on-demand. I don't know if they have lower end boxes to just do that these days.

Although, I do wonder if it's worth all the work and should just go with OTT streaming for TV.

Basically, I'm a creature of habit but my combined OOL internet/TV cost is getting out of hand in addition to their internet, which has been very stable for me to be fair, seems to be in a mode where they are going to cut even more service out in the future with lower upload speeds. So I switched the internet over to FiOS and have a nice, clean bill for 300/300 for $35 a month with no other fees, taxes.  So while I am trying to figure out the switch in technical terms from OOL TV to FiOS TV, I am also trying to figure out what is the cheapest standalone price for both with "reasonable" service. 

0 Likes
lolOptimumOL

"...As others have noted, you need a Verizon router as primary to get the latest boxes working.  Even though you say you don't care about the guide, the boxes need the guide to work.  That's how they know what channels you're subscribed to, how to map channel numbers to specific MPEG2/4 transport streams, and much more.  The boxes simply don't work if they don't have an internet link to Verizon's network..."

I though all providers have encrypted all channels by now so that you always have to use a cable box for any and all channels?

On Tivos and cablecards, I've read posts where people said they've had issues getting cablecards to work and that they are on the way out anyway.

After all this digging I think I lost the reason why people would like to cut out the Verizon router if they can. But, as you say, the cost is minimal if you buy a used one. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a few channels that aren't encrypted.  Local's mostly.

I'm not a TiVO and cable card user, but there are some folk who swear by them.  CableCards are no longer manufactured and the FCC dropped the separable security mandate years ago.  That said, there are people who still use them and you can get them from Verizon.  I still consider it a viable option as Verizon will keep renting them as long as them make enough money from them.  Who knows how long that will be...

Since you're a new customer, you'll be getting the fios ONE boxes.  They don't offer the old boxes to new customers.  So, you'll need a Verizon router as primary.  My best recommendation is to buy a used G1100 and install whatever gear you like behind it.  They may give you a G3100 rent free if you get gigabit service, if so, take it!