set box comes on by itself
amy_m77
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why during the middle of the night, (well after 1am) do our stb's come on by themselves? It scares the death out of us when multiple tv's in our house start up. In happened last night, two times. When I looked at one of my tv screens I noticed it said something to the effect of set box on stand by. I don't remember exactly what it said but it was a dark screen and had the Verizon logo. It was 3am and I was half asleep.

** added:

the Verizon installer is the one that plugged the tv's into the STB's. interesting...

Message Edited by amy_m77 on 03-24-2009 04:54 PM
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: set box comes on by itself
matcarl
Master - Level 1
You need to shutdown your TV, also don't plug it in the back of the STB if that's where it's plugged in, otherwise it will happen on occasion when the boxes need to be reset in the middle of the night for upgrades.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
You need to shutdown your TV, also don't plug it in the back of the STB if that's where it's plugged in, otherwise it will happen on occasion when the boxes need to be reset in the middle of the night for upgrades.
0 Likes
FloridaFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

amy_m77 wrote: 

It scares the death out of us when multiple tv's in our house start up.

Just curious: How can your STBs turn your TVs on?

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Some people leave their TV's on (don't know why) but shut the box, if the box resets overnight, it comes on for a few seconds sending a signal to the TV which was on. Some people plug their TV into the outlet in the back of the STB (also not a good idea) and when they shut the box, the TV goes out, but again a box reset will turn everything on for a few seconds.
0 Likes
amy_m77
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our tv's do power down when we shut off cable box. We use the verizon remote to shut both devices off at the same time. I just don't get why Verizon installers set up  people's tv's and STB's like this if it causes tv's to come by themselves when they do updates in the middle of the night. We'll definitely plug tv's into wall from now on.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1
If your TV's are plugged into the STB's unplug them and plug them into a wall outlet, see if that helps.
0 Likes
FloridaFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

@matcarl wrote:
Some people leave their TV's on (don't know why) but shut the box, if the box resets overnight, it comes on for a few seconds sending a signal to the TV which was on. Some people plug their TV into the outlet in the back of the STB (also not a good idea) and when they shut the box, the TV goes out, but again a box reset will turn everything on for a few seconds.

Ah, thanks!

I forgot the power-outlets on the STBs - because it never came to my mind to actually use them.

Now leaving a TV turned on 24/7 is insane and a real waste of money/energy...

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

One reason I like the new menu that pops up if your tv is on but your stb is off.  Saves energy and money. 

0 Likes