Re: settop box, cablecard or neither?
dvhart
Enthusiast - Level 2

The computer system for placing orders for customers I guess must be optimized for the average home, not the scenario above, and it might take a more experienced than employee to navigate it to avoid the experience dvhart had (see above post). Persons being told there is no other option than at least one set-top-box should politely & firmly insist otherwise. My Apology for that. I am bringing this to the attention of my superiors.

I'm afraid that isn't very helpful.  I spent TWO HOURS on the phone with someone in billing and she said she asked several other people while she had me on hold, and she couldn't find a way to NOT order an STB.  So being persistent isn't sufficient.  What words do we the customer need to use in order to tell the phone center people how to navigate your system in order to remove the hardware without cancelling the service?

0 Likes
AlanLinde
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks G-Pon; at least dvhart should be able to rest a bit easier.

In my case I do not intend to migrate my ancient analog sets to the digital era. My intention is to buy one or more new hd capable sets. I did not realize that there is an inexpensive option to receive only the local broadcast channels; that does explain why the non-broadcast channels in the 'essential' package are encrypted.

Nevertheless I would much prefer not to have a stb; I have no desire to avail myself of the additional functions those supply. I just want to watch good quality images with a minimum of equipment and cost. I am aware of the relative inflexibility of cablecards & of next generation options – but again that's not an issue.

For me, it is a real pity that manufacturers appear almost to have ceased supplying the card option – but I suppose I can't blame Verizon for that.

If anyone can help with finding cablecard TV sets, I'd appreciate it.

0 Likes
AlanLinde
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oops – I didn't see the dvhart response before I posted!

0 Likes