sorry signal, service
baltimore2

why can i sit in the kitchen and watch discovery,science, nat geo  go in the bedroom get not  subscribed on the same channels call and **bleep** they say its my wires signal if my signal why do the channels right  before and after come in i am thinking if its my problem always a problem  but wait no signal Monday, Wednesday ,Friday , but  Tuesday Thursday  they work if its a hard wire problem its either gonna work or not work is my thinking right am i getting screwed 

0 Likes
Re: sorry signal, service
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a common problem with substandard or poor "in home" wiring.   The signal is being delivered to your home, but something about the wiring between the ONT and the affected STB is introducing a lot of interference at or near the frequency that the particular affected channels are being distributed on.  Old homes with substandard cable will find that channels at or near 800mhz sometimes are more affect than others.  Additionally, multiple splitters or poor splitters can also degard the signal sufficiently to impact only certain (or even all) channels.  It's not uncommon in situations such as this to find that some TV's get all the channels while others will miss a couple or others may still not get any at all (I have a home with older Coax wiring and I have one room in my home that experienced this problem -- turned out to be it was the one closest to the mountainside of my home where there was a radio tower and evidently just enough interference was leaking into the system -- I terminated two open coax outlets in the same room and the problem went away).

So ...

Start by checking every connection from your affect TV back to the ONT.  First, removed and re-attached the coax running from the wall to your STB.  Inspect the coax to make sure it's high-grade, doesn't have any loose connectors, that the center wire in each end is not bent, nicked, or somehow shorting to the grounding shield, that the shielding is intact and firmly attached to each end of the cable.

Make sure the connections at the STB and the wall are solid and tight.

If you have any splitters, check each to make sure they are digitally rated for 5-1000mHz operation and likewise inspect all pieces of coax attached to the splitters (removing and resecuring and checking the ends as outlined above).   If you have any splitters that have more outputs on them than are in use (a 3-way or 4-way splitter for instance), replace them with a splitter with the correct number of outputs.  Attach the longest runs (or those with the most downstream splitters) to the left most side of the a multi-way splitter (usually labelled -3db instead of those which may be labelled -6db or -9db or greater).   Minimize the number of splitters overall which are in use.

If you have any TV outlets which are not in use, place a terminator (smaller metal cap -- you can find  them online or at some home improvement stores) on these outlets or disconnect them (by removing the splitter for them).  These are often points where interference is introduced into the cable plant inside the home -- because the unterminated center conductor being exposed essentially acts as an antenna).

Lastly, remove any "TV amplifiers" which you may have installed.  These do not work with the FiOS TV distribution model because they will block MoCA signal distribution and prevent the STB's from getting guide data, etc.  There are ways to use a signal amplifier using proper bypass filters to move the MoCA signal around an amplifier, but it shouldn't be need in most home installations unless you have very long cable runs (like a multi-building setup) or many TV installations (in which case Vz will usually already have installed the proper equipment).

0 Likes