starting up...one moment please
AtomixNYC

While i'd been very satisfied with the quality after switching over from TW, in less than a month, I suffered the 1st issue.  Both my STB (non dvr) stopped working at the same time.  1st telling me channel is not available, press B to troubleshoot, then proceeded to getting starting up...one moment please.  Restarting components did not resolve.  Internet, fortunately, still worked.  I used the home agent/live chat, and was able to get a customer rep in < 3 mins.  Not too bad, considering it's Fri evening on a holiday weekend.  Rep followed scripted procedure, ie. sending command to reset router...etc.  Problem persisted, and he determined it could be a bad splitter, and setup an onsite service appt for Monday.

It's a new install, so it's not confidence inspiring to have components failing so soon.  The rep stated there's no area wide issue, but is anyone aware of issues impacting NYC UES?

Or if you'd experienced this before, was the diagnostic/resolution consistent to a splitter issue?

0 Likes
Re: starting up...one moment please
prisaz
Legend

1. Do you have an ONT inside you unit with fiber running to it, if you are in an apartment of condo?

2. What Model equipment do you have?

3. Have you tried disconnecting the STBs at the splitter and swapping the connections one at a time? Leaving the Router connected of course. The Internet works so there is no use in messing with that.

4. You may be able to get one TV up and running.

I have not seen a bad splitter unless you get some type of power surge or short in one of the cables. Some have reported one going bad. Usually they work out of the box or they don't. If you have vDSL with a separate VDSL box next to the router, it could be a bad router killing the TV signal. Other than # 3, you will probably need to wait for a tech, or get a bi-directional cable splitter from Radio Shack or somewhere else, if you are really desperate for TV. But it may not be a bad splitter, and at that point you would have wasted money, or replaced something that Verizon owes you.

Monday is a Holiday for many of us, so we will not be working anyway. If you can get them out and have an appointment for Monday, I would say great!

It never hurts to have a second set of eyes on someone else's install. I read where in one apartment the previous installer left off a low pass filter on the customers cable so the customers were seeing each others hardware which can also cause problems. The filter was located in the utility closet. But could also be installed in the unit.

0 Likes
AtomixNYC

Update - I looked at the ONT, and the VID light is Red.  Per the notation, it said "optical power too low".  Is the ONT 1st point of entry from the fiber, then the coax runs to the splitter from there, then from the splitter to the STBs?  If so, and the ONT is complaining, then it may not be the splitter or the STBs.

1. Do you have an ONT inside you unit with fiber running to it, if you are in an apartment of condo? - Yes, we have an ONT inside the apartment.

2. What Model equipment do you have? - Not sure what the model of the ONT is, but it's made by Alcatel/Lucent, and manufactured in 2011.  The STBs are Motorola QIP 7100 2

3. Have you tried disconnecting the STBs at the splitter and swapping the connections one at a time? Leaving the Router connected of course. The Internet works so there is no use in messing with that.  - I haven't tried it yet, but may try.  Though given the Red light in the ONT, not sure if that's worth doing.

4. You may be able to get one TV up and running.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If it says optical power to low, I would say that is the first hint. You may have barely enough for the Internet. Bad Fiber Cable or ONT. But it could be something on the the backend like the OLT not sending out a strong enough signal, but that would probably cause issues with multiple customers. I would say Fiber Cable or ONT is bad. Fiber may just need cleaning, but it has been working, So I would bet ONT quit since it is not that old. If they are lucky it could be just the power supply.

Let us know which.

0 Likes
AtomixNYC

I power cycled the ONT, and TV service was restored for both STBs.  Strangely, the vid red light remained lit.  Internet speed + picture quality are fine.  I'm not cancelling the service appt just to see if the tech can further figure out what's causing the red status.

Prisaz, thanks for following up!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@AtomixNYC wrote:

I power cycled the ONT, and TV service was restored for both STBs.  Strangely, the vid red light remained lit.  Internet speed + picture quality are fine.  I'm not cancelling the service appt just to see if the tech can further figure out what's causing the red status.

Prisaz, thanks for following up!

I know if you power cycled the ONT it still has power unless you disconnect the battery. Yes I would have a second set of eyes look at it. I have lost phone twice since 2005. Once one an ONT 610x and once on an ONT 612. Both times I had to pull the power plug and disconnect the battery to get it back. They say not to to that unless instructed to, because it may wipe any diagnostic information that is stored. Thus making it harder to troubleshoot. If my phone is down they can troubleshoot later.

Smiley LOLHave a Happy New Year.Smiley LOL

0 Likes