Re: subscribe channels
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

Justin - is that " 30+ page document I called FiOS TV: Getting Started With Interactive Media Guide 1.9" still here anywhere? (I searched but it didn't pop up in results, probably too long ago). I was thinking that even though outdated, it might be helpful for some of us. It really does seem like it would be in Verizon's interest to have online documentation available for customers to learn how to use their system, then they wouldn't have to hire so many people to do keyword searches. I keep thinking I could search that database more efficiently, since I at least understand my question or problem.

Sorry Verizon didn't make use of what you offered, such a waste

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@djb wrote:

Justin - is that " 30+ page document I called FiOS TV: Getting Started With Interactive Media Guide 1.9" still here anywhere? (I searched but it didn't pop up in results, probably too long ago). I was thinking that even though outdated, it might be helpful for some of us. It really does seem like it would be in Verizon's interest to have online documentation available for customers to learn how to use their system, then they wouldn't have to hire so many people to do keyword searches. I keep thinking I could search that database more efficiently, since I at least understand my question or problem.

Sorry Verizon didn't make use of what you offered, such a waste

Yes. Here is a link to the thread I created, the document (PDF) is linked from the first post:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Interactive-Media-Guide-1-9/FiOS-TV-Getting-Started-With-Interactive-Me...

Yeah, that was my view, but it was not shared by Verizon.... Smiley Mad

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
snowflury

Why should we have to go through all of that - creating our own list of channels  - that we already pay for?

When my contract is up, I will be looking at other options! 

0 Likes
Re: subscribe channels - BAAAAAD ISP!
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@snowflury wrote:

Why should we have to go through all of that - creating our own list of channels  - that we already pay for?

Are you saying that your reason for changing ISPs is that they don't customize your channel listing to your satisfaction?

The nerve of some people.

djb5
Contributor - Level 3

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@snowflury wrote:

Are you saying that your reason for changing ISPs is that they don't customize your channel listing to your satisfaction?

I'm thinking that snowflury's frustration is directed at being forced to filter out unsubscribed channels. I share that frustration, shouldn't have to go through hoops (and a lot of time) to do that.  As for changing providers, guess it all depends on comparing available options.  For me, I'm leaning toward just getting rid of the TV part of my contract altogether and living with public TV and other options. The ISP part (internet access and wifi) is the important part for me.

djb5
Contributor - Level 3

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@snowflury wrote:

I'm thinking that snowflury's frustration is directed at being forced to filter out unsubscribed channels. I share that frustration, shouldn't have to go through hoops (and a lot of time) to do that.  As for changing providers, guess it all depends on comparing available options.  For me, I'm leaning toward just getting rid of the TV part of my contract altogether and living with public TV and other options. The ISP part (internet access and wifi) is the important part for me.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@djb wrote:

I honestly don't understand your view on this. Setting up a customized Favorites list takes what? 10-15 minutes, maybe 20 the first time? And with 1.9.4 you can do it once and populate the list to all other STBs in the house in about 30 seconds per STB.

Have you actually looked at what the "Subscribed" function really does (of course I mean when it works)? You get ALL of the channels you are entitled to receive: all locals, all shopping, all religeous, all duplicate SD versions of many HD channels, Verizon's stupid VOD channels scattered throughout. In summary you get many channels you may have no interest in at all, depending of course on your interests. Why would anyone want that?

Invest a little time now and you won't ever see those unwanted channels again, unless of course you want to by switching at any time from a Favorites list to All Channels, and then back whenever you want, all you have to do is press the Favorites button on the remote. Plus you can easily add or delete a single channel to or from your Favorites list at any time, takes 4 button presses. And you have options when creating a Favorites list to start with: create a full list and remove what you don't want, create an empty list and add only what you want, don't create a list at all and just add individual channels as desired to create your list. Lots of flexibility.

I encourage all of you who think the Favorties function is so bad and Subscribed is so great to invest 5 minutes to see how different the functions are, and how easy it is to create and maintain a Favorites list. I think most people will be far more satisfied once they have created one or two Favorites lists that really reflect their unique interests.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

djb5
Contributor - Level 3

Justin - I didn't mean to imply that I thought Favorites wasn't a good feature, nor would dealing with setting up Favorites cause me to cancel TV subscription. I have many other reasons. I have always used Favorites myself (one with the channels I watch most often, the other with all the things I am subscribed to and which I might conceivably want to watch). I was simply relating to snowflury's frustration that Favorites shouldn't be so hard to set up. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to be able to start with only channels to which you are subscribed, and select from there. And YES, recent changes that enable uploading Favorites settings to the cloud to be able to restore should you lose them is a very big plus!  I shouldn't have muddied the waters with my comment about considering canceling TV subscription when my contract next runs out, not really relevant to this topic (and they are many, primarily service/support issues and the fact that I don't watch much stuff that isn't readily available elsewhere for far cheaper or free). 

Justin46
Legend

@djb wrote:

Justin - I didn't mean to imply that I thought Favorites wasn't a good feature, nor would dealing with setting up Favorites cause me to cancel TV subscription. I have many other reasons. I have always used Favorites myself (one with the channels I watch most often, the other with all the things I am subscribed to and which I might conceivably want to watch). I was simply relating to snowflury's frustration that Favorites shouldn't be so hard to set up. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to be able to start with only channels to which you are subscribed, and select from there. And YES, recent changes that enable uploading Favorites settings to the cloud to be able to restore should you lose them is a very big plus!  I shouldn't have muddied the waters with my comment about considering canceling TV subscription when my contract next runs out, not really relevant to this topic (and they are many, primarily service/support issues and the fact that I don't watch much stuff that isn't readily available elsewhere for far cheaper or free). 

Thanks for clarifying.The way you worded your post it sounded like you were going to cancel simply because of the way setting up favorites was implemented, and I just didn't understand that.

I do agree that adding a "subscribed channels" option to the initial setup of a Favorites list would be useful versus the two current options of "add all channels" or "add or remove channels." Of course I have had FiOS TV for nearly 8 years now, and the Favorites function was introduced fairly early in the process, so maybe I am just so used to the function that I don't see the bigger picture.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

You're right Justin - it's no longer a big deal with the Cloud option. I have been unlucky enough to have replaced a couple of boxes

0 Likes