upscaling to 4k
Codger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am shopping for good 4k tv.  In layman's terms, will the upscaling of fios signal result in same, better, or worse picture?  The majority of my viewing is on network and premium channels.  I have seen mixed messages, but want to know if it realy is worth it for "regular viewer" to purchase a 4k tv.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: upscaling to 4k
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Blaze1 wrote:

So you’re saying in the Verizon settings you should set the resolution to 1080p instead of 2160 for viewing cable content which broadcasts mostly 1080? 

What about out when you view 4K content on Netflix, amazon Prime, etc.., do you go into settings and adjust it back to 2160 resolution? Seems kinda annoying. 

I have my verizon box set to 2160 and the picture looks very good. I’ll need to check out 1080 setting when I have a chance. Btw..I have a 75” Sony 900F which is supposed to be very good at upscaling so 1080 might be the way to go and let the tv do the upscaling. If you have the Verizon box set to 2160 that means the Verizon box is doing the upscaling instead of the television?..am I correct? 

Yes you are correct in that right now the Fios box is upscaling the non 4K sources to 4K. It is NOT doing a colorspace conversion however and some TVs would require you to set the colorspace to REC 709 for NON 4K programming and BT2020 for true 4k sources. Some Tvs have an auto setting for colorspace, which should provide the correct colors. I have a Sony X850H and it looks better to me having the Fios box set to 2160/60p, the TV set to auto in colorspace settings. There is definately some processing being done in the new boxes to improve the look of the upscaled video. The advantage to leaving the box at 2160 is if you watch 4K Netflix, you dont have to reset the box to 2160 to watch 4K.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Codgerwrote:

I am shopping for good 4k tv.  In layman's terms, will the upscaling of fios signal result in same, better, or worse picture?  The majority of my viewing is on network and premium channels.  I have seen mixed messages, but want to know if it realy is worth it for "regular viewer" to purchase a 4k tv.

4K tv will make no viewing difference unless the stations are broadcasting in 4K, or the movies you rent or purchase are designed for 4K. So it’s just spending money now for the future. And maybe someday Verizon tv and broadcasters will transmit in 4K.

alas right now it’s no go.

Codger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks!  Will wait awhile on 4k purchase.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The answer varies by the TV.  I would say then on my LG OLED the upscaled picture looks better.

error404ts

We have a SONY 4K tv and just switched to Fios from COX.  Our image quality was terrible - sharpness, color, etc - after the initial setup and couldn't believe I was watching Fios at all. After going through the settings in the Fios box and examining the video settings the image was set to 2160p, and scaling it down to 1080p made the color much better. I let the tv do whatever adjustments it needed to upscale instead of depending on the Fios box. 

0 Likes
Blaze11
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you’re saying in the Verizon settings you should set the resolution to 1080p instead of 2160 for viewing cable content which broadcasts mostly 1080? 

What about out when you view 4K content on Netflix, amazon Prime, etc.., do you go into settings and adjust it back to 2160 resolution? Seems kinda annoying. 

I have my verizon box set to 2160 and the picture looks very good. I’ll need to check out 1080 setting when I have a chance. Btw..I have a 75” Sony 900F which is supposed to be very good at upscaling so 1080 might be the way to go and let the tv do the upscaling. If you have the Verizon box set to 2160 that means the Verizon box is doing the upscaling instead of the television?..am I correct? 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Blaze1 wrote:

Yes you are correct in that right now the Fios box is upscaling the non 4K sources to 4K. It is NOT doing a colorspace conversion however and some TVs would require you to set the colorspace to REC 709 for NON 4K programming and BT2020 for true 4k sources. Some Tvs have an auto setting for colorspace, which should provide the correct colors. I have a Sony X850H and it looks better to me having the Fios box set to 2160/60p, the TV set to auto in colorspace settings. There is definately some processing being done in the new boxes to improve the look of the upscaled video. The advantage to leaving the box at 2160 is if you watch 4K Netflix, you dont have to reset the box to 2160 to watch 4K.