watch recordings on old DVR after set up new DVR?
DaveVndrHydn

Hi,

I'd like to order the larger 500 GB DVR.  However I have a lot of shows recorded on my older DVR that I don't want to lose.  If I activate a new DVR, does the old one become deactivated?  I'd like to continue watching my shows on the old DVR after I hook up the new DVR for the new recordings.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: watch recordings on old DVR after set up new DVR?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@DaveVndrHydn wrote:

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure I understand.  The old DVR is a multi-room DVR.  If I connect it to another coax input, it's then on the network, right? ...

Correct.  The old DVR is still the MRDVR on your network, and you are able to support only a single MRDVR.  You can record material on the old DVR and it will be viewable on other STBs on your network (format permitting)

... Will the old dvr work if it's connected to a TV but not the coax input?

Depends on what is meant by "work."  I haven't tried it but you may be able to connect the old DVR to a TV and view previously recorded material on it.  Of this I'm not 100% sure, but the answer is likely "yes."  However the DVR must have a coax connection to get a signal.  Once connected you can record to it as you would any other DVR.  In fact if both are HD, you will be able to view material on the older DVR on the newer DVR, but NOT the other way around.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@DaveVndrHydn wrote:

... I'd like to order the larger 500 GB DVR.  However I have a lot of shows recorded on my older DVR that I don't want to lose.  If I activate a new DVR, does the old one become deactivated? ...

You can have more than one DVR on your home network.  However you cannot have more than a single multi-room DVR (the 'multi-room" feature is a network setting for the unit rather than a physical difference among units).  Just move the old DVR unit over to another coax connection, hook up a TV, and watch away.

0 Likes
DaveVndrHydn

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure I understand.  The old DVR is a multi-room DVR.  If I connect it to another coax input, it's then on the network, right? 

Will the old dvr work if it's connected to a TV but not the coax input?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@DaveVndrHydn wrote:

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure I understand.  The old DVR is a multi-room DVR.  If I connect it to another coax input, it's then on the network, right? ...

Correct.  The old DVR is still the MRDVR on your network, and you are able to support only a single MRDVR.  You can record material on the old DVR and it will be viewable on other STBs on your network (format permitting)

... Will the old dvr work if it's connected to a TV but not the coax input?

Depends on what is meant by "work."  I haven't tried it but you may be able to connect the old DVR to a TV and view previously recorded material on it.  Of this I'm not 100% sure, but the answer is likely "yes."  However the DVR must have a coax connection to get a signal.  Once connected you can record to it as you would any other DVR.  In fact if both are HD, you will be able to view material on the older DVR on the newer DVR, but NOT the other way around.

0 Likes
DaveVndrHydn

Thanks!

0 Likes