we want to fast forward and rewind on demand shows
wasted1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why do you feel this isn't a critical ability for on-demand content?  If I stop watching a show 3/4 the way into it, I have to watch the whole **bleep** thing from the beginning again just to see the end?  Come on guys, thats lame.

0 Likes
Re: we want to fast forward and rewind on demand shows
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those limitations are placed by the content providers.

They are inserting commercials and want to make sure you can't skip over them.

wasted1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I gave you a like even though i didn't like your answer!  There must be other solutions...  I don't recall having the issue nearly as often with Xfinity On Demand a couple years ago.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe content providers are imposing these restrictions more and more.

would be interesting if others can check with xfinity to see if they see similar restrictions.

0 Likes
Lynn110

Xfinity allows you to fast forward 10 -20 minutes at a time. It's great when you've missed the last part of what you're watching so you can skip to it.  I hate that Fios doesn't allow he same thing. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

On network (NBC, ABC, CBS) shows?

That would be surprising because that would allow you to bypass their commercials.

0 Likes
pnjones

So I have Blue Bloods on a series recording. For some reason the episode on 4/13/2018 started late. I fast forwarded the recording but it stopped about 20 minutes short, even though I add 15 minutes to the recording time. First question. Why doesn’t the Verizon recording know that the show was delayed and make the adjustment?

So On Demand to the rescue? I found Blue Bloods Season 8 episode 19 on On Demand. Great, but I had to watch the program from the beginning, unable to fast forward. So I read the explanation ”Those limitations are placed by the content providers.” But remember we Verizon customers are paying for your service, and I am sure that Verizon is paying the so called content providers. So why can't Verizon negotiate with the content providers to try to standardize the playback options, so recordings and On Demand work the same way?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

On FFWD during On demand, see my previous post. Broadcast networks especially are obviously unwilling to negotiate on this with any provider (I haven't seen any yet that allow it).

As to extending recordings, cable providers don't have a way to know how long to extend recording.

Imagine having to update millions of STBs all at once. And how many times? Not to mention how do you handle if the DVR has other tuners programmed to record assuming the first show was complete.

I believe that show was delayed due to presidential press conference about Syria. Clearly unplanned with no way to know how long it will last.

0 Likes
AlessioVentura

Actually, this is an agreement between the content providers, the advertisers, and the carrier.  During contract negotiations Vz has the opportunity to negotiate viewing conditions, including ffwd so that you can get back to where you left off, or set a check point for viewing at a later date.

It’s all a scam folks. We pay enuf to warrant ffwd!!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My mother in law has cox. They have the ssame restrictions.

Just like content providers are limiting the amount of free in demand, they also want us to watch their commercials.

I'm finding their own apps have better options than what they offer via on demand (not just FiOS). Wondering if they have a financial advantage for usto use their apps vs cable providers on demand.

0 Likes