what can the FIOS remote do?
Myra

My Comcast remote not only turned my TV on/off, volume, but got me into the TV menu to change input from cable to Wii to DVD. I can't get my FIOS HD remote to do this. Is this something it should do? I am having to use my TV remote to get into it's menu to switch to DVD or Wii. So to watch a DVD we have to use 3 remotes...TV, DVD and receiver. I've hunted online and it appears the remote may only turn TV on/off and do volume, not anything more related to the TV. It's a 1 yr old Samsung LCD/HD so it's not something old and out of date. There also doesn't seem to be a code to program the FIOS remote to our Sylvania LCD TV. Seems like since we're paying more per month for the FIOS remotes than the Comcast they should work better, not worse.

0 Likes
Re: what can the FIOS remote do?
Justin46
Legend

@Myra wrote:

My Comcast remote not only turned my TV on/off, volume, but got me into the TV menu to change input from cable to Wii to DVD. I can't get my FIOS HD remote to do this. Is this something it should do? I am having to use my TV remote to get into it's menu to switch to DVD or Wii. So to watch a DVD we have to use 3 remotes...TV, DVD and receiver. I've hunted online and it appears the remote may only turn TV on/off and do volume, not anything more related to the TV. It's a 1 yr old Samsung LCD/HD so it's not something old and out of date. There also doesn't seem to be a code to program the FIOS remote to our Sylvania LCD TV. Seems like since we're paying more per month for the FIOS remotes than the Comcast they should work better, not worse.

It depends on the brand of TV and DVD you have, how new they are, and what codes you have set in the remote for those devices. For example, I have a 4 year old Sony LCD and Sony DVD and my Verizon remote controls them both just fine.

It may be counterintuitive, but the newer the TV and DVD you have, I suspect the less likely the Verizon remote is to control them. That is because the remote has been available for several years, and as far as I know there is no way for Verizon or you to update the codes in them. So whatever it had when you got it is what you have available. Newer TVs and DVDs may use newer codes that are not in the remote.

However, don't give up yet. First, for most TV and DVD brands, there are multiple device codes listed. Even if you find one that turns the device on and off, there may be another code that does that and some other things, like control the input selection on the TV. So be sure you try all of the known codes for your brands, if you have not already done so. Here are links to Verizon web pages for TV and DVD players:

TV: http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Remote%20Controls/SetUp/QuestionsOne/122830.htm

DVD: http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Remote%20Controls/SetUp/QuestionsOne/122859.htm

Some people have found some additional codes that will work for certain manufacturer's devices that are not listed here, I don't know what they are since I haven't needed them, but you can do some Google searches and probably find them.

Now, to the specific issue of controlling the input on your TV; have you used the A/V (Input) button (bottom left) on the remote to try to change the input? If not, do so, mine works for me on my Sony. Be sure to hit the TV button first before hitting the A/V button, because the signal is sent to the last device selected, which is usually the STB.

I hope this helps. If you do find some codes or buttons that do work, be sure to report back with that info so others can benefit from you knowledge.

Keller, TX 76248