Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

what connector type required for IR Remote Input on HD DVR STB

taliaferro62
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

what connector type required for IR Remote Input on HD DVR STB

Message 1 of 4
(4,687 Views)

My 2 HD DVR STBs (not certain whether the model is 6416 or 7216) have a "IR Remote Input" on the rear panel that I would like to use.  I want to connect directly from my MRF-260 Universal Remote Control Base Station (http://www.universalremote.com/products/residential/base-stations/mrf-260) to the STB, but I need to know whether I need a "stereo" or "mono" 3.5mm connector for the STB.  Will either one work?  And can Verizon provide the appropriate cables?  Does the answer apply to either STB model?

I've noticed similar questions on the forum regarding IR extenders, but I'm really looking to bypass IR altogether and control the STB via direct connection from base station to STB.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: what connector type required for IR Remote Input on HD DVR STB

Message 2 of 4
(4,659 Views)
The ir extenders only work with the 7xxx series set top boxes, and Verizon sent me one free. It was the same one on their website. So if you really want they could probably send you that one.

Www.Verizon.com/fiosaccessories
taliaferro62
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(4,655 Views)

I'm not looking for the IR extender.  That is designed to be plugged into the back of the STB and then the other end - an actual IR receiver - can be place somewhere outside a cabinet or whereever so the FIOS Remote Control can "see" it.

What I'm looking for is a cable with the appropriate 3.5mm connectors on both ends.  Then my base station receives an RF signal from my custom remote, translates it to appropriate IR code, but sends it "electrically" to the STB over the cable, not "optically" via the IR extender.

taliaferro62
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 4
(4,423 Views)

To follow up, my STBs are both Model 6416.  Can anyone tell me if the IR remote inputs are functional, and if so, which connector type (mono or stereo) they require?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title