what happens when you key in an unknown channel
spangreen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let's say you key in a channel to the IMG that doesn't exist.  Given how poorly the IMG responds to input, this often happens to us, particularly to my kids..

This is what happens on our sets:

The IMG switches to channel 951 which is an Adult Comedy Channel (URGE951).   We get the following screen, as the sound carries the uncensored comedy routines:

***Warning: This Station Contains Adult Content! ***

The world's best comedians on one bill without the required two-drink minium.

Why doesn't it just stay on the current station?  Of all the things for the IMG to do in this situation, I think this ranks among the worst.   Do other people have the same behavior?

0 Likes
Re: what happens when you key in an unknown channel
Justin46
Legend

I don't. When I key in an invalid channel number, the IMG always displays the highest valid channel in my Favorites list that is lower than the channel number I keyed in. 

What level of the IMG, 1.5 or 1.6, are you on?

Have you set up a Favorites and set Flip by Channel to Favorites? If not, doing so may prevent what you are seeing. If you have set up a Favorites, I have no idea why yours would work that way, sorry....

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

spangreen,

Your problem intrigued me, so I did some more experimenting, and found something interesting (and strange), at least on my system.

If I key in any invalid channel number 4093 or lower, but higher than my highest channel in my Favorites, my box tunes to the highest channel in my Favorites, which is 888. Keying in an invalid channel below 888 just goes to the next lowest valid channel in my Favorites.

If I key any channel 4094 up to 9999, my box tunes to 1951, which is the Urge Radio channel you get (are you sure yours is 951? On mine the E in Urge and the 1 in 1951 overlay each other and its hard to read), and I do not have 1951 in my Favorites.

Does yours work the way mine does? Really strange, and seems to me to be a legitimate bug. I think you ought to call it in.

I have not tried it without any Favorites, I don't want to go through setting them up again.

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
spangreen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't tried any tricks using the Favorites, but yeah it's 1951 (its hard to read the number as it overlaps with the Urge logo as you say).

Can you believe it?   It's like a bad joke or a computer virus - being redirected to an Adult Content station on a bad input.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
The box goes to the next channel number lower that exists, so your kids must be typing in something over 1951. Since 1951 is the highest channel available, if you press 3447 by mistake, it will go to 1951.
0 Likes
spangreen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess that explains it, but ...

its totally unacceptable behavior.   We're always hitting it due to the unresponsive remote.   Like they will try to go to 780 (disney hd) and wind up hitting 7780 or something like that and wind up on the Adult Content Urge channel.

It would be much preferrable in my opinion, for it to NOT change channels at all if you specify something completely bogus.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@matcarl wrote:
The box goes to the next channel number lower that exists, so your kids must be typing in something over 1951. Since 1951 is the highest channel available, if you press 3447 by mistake, it will go to 1951.

As I posted earlier, that is not how mine works:

"If I key in any invalid channel number 4093 or lower, but higher than my highest channel in my Favorites, my box tunes to the highest channel in my Favorites, which is 888. Keying in an invalid channel below 888 just goes to the next lowest valid channel in my Favorites.

If I key any channel 4094 up to 9999, my box tunes to 1951, which is the Urge Radio channel you get."

So, what is magically different on my DVR between channels 4093 and 4094? Keep in mind I still have the old IMG 1.5; maybe 1.6 works differently, I won't know until I get it.

Does the OP have 1951 in his Favorites? If not, and he is using Flip by Favorites, it should never go to any channel not in his Favorites, at least IMHO. That is why we have Favorites, so we don't go to those channels we don't want. I think this is a bug he should report (I would report it, but since I am still on 1.5 it may already be changed on 1.6, so there would not be any point in doing so).

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX 

0 Likes
rkkeller

Have you tried blocking the channels you dont want your kids to see with the parental controls. ?

I have never had this problem. 

Message Edited by rkkeller on 10-20-2008 12:26 PM
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Justin,

Do you have yours set up with Flip By Favorites? If so that's why yours is different, most people do not have it set up that way.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@matcarl wrote:

Justin,

Do you have yours set up with Flip By Favorites? If so that's why yours is different, most people do not have it set up that way.

Yes I do. I guess I don't understand why anyone would not use Flip by Favorites if they have gone to the trouble to set up a Favorites list, that is the only way I know of to see only your Favorites when you channel surf (using the channel Up/Down buttons), otherwise you see all channels, right? I don't think I could live without Flip by Favorites set on. My Favorites is all of the channels I ever want to watch, so I never see any of the Spanish, radio, duplicate, moved, etc. channels.

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes