will Fios TV One STBs work with the Fios Network Adapter?
techwannabe
Enthusiast - Level 1

My fios wireless connections are no longer good enough for my media room (smart tv and gaming console). I think the Fios Network Adapter will solve my problems. But I've been reading the the TV One STBs won't work off an ethernet connection. Will they still work with the network adapter because it's really still a coax connection?

The Fios Network Adapter overview states, "Connect the HD TV, streaming media device, set top box, gaming console and more. This plug-and-play device is compatible with any device that has an Ethernet port." Before I buy one I'd like to make sure my TV One STB's will still work.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: will Fios TV One STBs work with the Fios Network Adapter?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The main server sends information to the mini clients via IP. This can be done with MoCA(coax), ethernet, or wireless. 

You shouldn't really have to swap the boxes. Just order a good two port MoCA 2.0 cable splitter and connect one to the server and other to the FNA and you will be fine. 

The RF signal strength is very high out of the ONT so putting a splitter shouldn't hurt anything. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The main TV One VMS4100 is the server and that must connect to coax and not ethernet. The mini boxes can connect with either coax or ethernet. If the room where you are planning on putting the FNA has a mini you could connect it with the coax and use of the 4 ethernet ports to feed the mini. Otherwise you will need a two port cable splitter. One out to the FNA and one out to the server. The FNA is also not wifi point, just hardwired. 

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is an excellent visual answer to all future questions as well.

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/vms_4100_new...

techwannabe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. That clears things up. Follow-up question(s). When you say the VMS4100 is the server, I assume it needs to send information to the mini, but since the mini doesn't have to be on coax, how does it send it? and what does it send?

In my house I have a VMS4100 and a mini. Right now both are connected via coax. So to use the FNA without a splitter, I could swap the location of the STBs. When the technician setup the system last year, he put the VMS4100 in the room where I want to use the FNA. I'm curious if he did that for performance reasons or because it was the first room after setting up the router.

I've heard using a splitter can degrade performance and picture quality. I guess I'm wondering if swapping the location of the boxes might do the same thing. Just trying to understand any trade-offs I need to consider. Thanks.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The main server sends information to the mini clients via IP. This can be done with MoCA(coax), ethernet, or wireless. 

You shouldn't really have to swap the boxes. Just order a good two port MoCA 2.0 cable splitter and connect one to the server and other to the FNA and you will be fine. 

The RF signal strength is very high out of the ONT so putting a splitter shouldn't hurt anything.