will my digital in optical on my suround sound system (sony) work with the DVR box?
Geo

will my digital in optical on my surround system (sony) work with the DVR box? does this have digital optical out and what would this do to improve my surround sound when I pay for a movie on demand?

I rented Dark Knight but did not get true surround sound from the system

0 Likes
Re: will my digital in optical on my suround sound system (sony) work with the DVR box?
Pyao
Contributor - Level 1

How are you connecting your DVR to the sound system now (by left/right RCA cables)?   You should make use of the optical in/outs, the cable is cheap and can carry the high def sound channels if available.

0 Likes
Re: will my digital in optical on my suround sound system (sony) work with the DVR box?
Sabre70
Enthusiast - Level 3
Best sound will come from the Fiber optic connection from the dvr to you home theatre.  I had issues thoiugh with the 7216 optical ports not working so I swapped to a 6416 and have had no issues to this point.  I was told it was one of the glitches on the 7216.  You can use a digital coax as well, if you go with the standard red/white you wont get true dolby 5.1 throught that cable set up.
0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

@Geo wrote:

will my digital in optical on my surround system (sony) work with the DVR box?

Yes!

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Sabre70 is spot on.  The issue with the 7216 was when you shut off the reciever it would change the audio output to mono.  You would then have to go into the audio settings and set it back to surround or just leave the reciever on.  I was under the impression that was resolved with the last Firmware update.
0 Likes