wow, expensive box rental?
rickla
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 4 analogs in addition to my normal set. No analog means that cheapest 6 buck box x 4? That puts the price a lot higher compared to cable for the analog boxes, and extra 24 just for extra boxes.

Is there any alternative such as a broadband whole house converter? I doubt it but thought I would ask. Also since these are cheap little boxes anyway, it seems avoiding rental would be cheaper but I have not heard of that option. 

0 Likes
Re: wow, expensive box rental?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
There is the DCT-700 (also called digital adapter) that is $3.99 a month.  It is limited in function as it has no guide and doesn't support VOD, widgets, or any other IP based function.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

no unfortunatly there is no "whole house" adaptor....at least not yet. I would be supprised if they dont do something like that, especially for businesses (motel/hotel)

I have heard that they are going to put in a system to allow tv's to connect with no boxes what so ever on a LIMITED connection basis (meaning only the local channels 49 and below) but I have not heard a timeline on that.

0 Likes
rickla
Enthusiast - Level 3
Oh well, just something to consider when pricing I guess. Cox is a bit cheap since even the hd boxes are only 6 bucks. It's going to take alot to get me to switch it all over, all the scammy fios ads I get make me wary about what the true cost will be after the "deal" expires.
0 Likes
jwr74
I have a TV tuner card in my PC. Is there anyway I can get it to work with Fios without using a remote control to change channels?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jwr74 wrote:
I have a TV tuner card in my PC. Is there anyway I can get it to work with Fios without using a remote control to change channels?

First it has to have a QAM tuner.  If it does you can get the local SD, local digital (HD), music and PEG channels.  All other channels are encrypted and require either an STB or a cable card capable device.

0 Likes