Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

wow, expensive box rental?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

wow, expensive box rental?

Message 1 of 6
(9,782 Views)

I have 4 analogs in addition to my normal set. No analog means that cheapest 6 buck box x 4? That puts the price a lot higher compared to cable for the analog boxes, and extra 24 just for extra boxes.

Is there any alternative such as a broadband whole house converter? I doubt it but thought I would ask. Also since these are cheap little boxes anyway, it seems avoiding rental would be cheaper but I have not heard of that option. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: wow, expensive box rental?

Message 2 of 6
(9,756 Views)
There is the DCT-700 (also called digital adapter) that is $3.99 a month.  It is limited in function as it has no guide and doesn't support VOD, widgets, or any other IP based function.
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 3 of 6
(9,646 Views)

no unfortunatly there is no "whole house" adaptor....at least not yet. I would be supprised if they dont do something like that, especially for businesses (motel/hotel)

I have heard that they are going to put in a system to allow tv's to connect with no boxes what so ever on a LIMITED connection basis (meaning only the local channels 49 and below) but I have not heard a timeline on that.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 6
(9,626 Views)
Oh well, just something to consider when pricing I guess. Cox is a bit cheap since even the hd boxes are only 6 bucks. It's going to take alot to get me to switch it all over, all the scammy fios ads I get make me wary about what the true cost will be after the "deal" expires.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 6
(9,533 Views)
I have a TV tuner card in my PC. Is there anyway I can get it to work with Fios without using a remote control to change channels?
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 6 of 6
(9,520 Views)

@jwr74 wrote:
I have a TV tuner card in my PC. Is there anyway I can get it to work with Fios without using a remote control to change channels?

First it has to have a QAM tuner.  If it does you can get the local SD, local digital (HD), music and PEG channels.  All other channels are encrypted and require either an STB or a cable card capable device.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.