Switch Account

Fios battery backup poor design

Fios battery backup poor design

Copper Contributor frank2644
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 2
(6,245 Views)
When Sandy killed my power for several days the battery backup in my FIOS equipment eventually discharged. So I tried to swap it with my son's FIOS battery (my son had power).

Unfortunately after swapping the battery the phone still did not work. After some trial and error I discovered that if I temporarily applied AC power (neighbor's generator) then the battery backup started working. So apparently the FIOS battery backup only works if the battery is installed before power fails.

Seems like replacing the battery during periods of long power failures is desirable, but the FIOS equipment has a serious design shortcoming in that regard.

Does anybody know why the backup works this way or, more importantly, is there an easy workaround?
1 REPLY 1
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 2
(6,117 Views)

Can't answer for your specific experience with the battery ... but the way to work around this is to use a UPS (the same kind you can buy for a computer).  You can get them at many big box stores (like a Costco, etc.) and if they only thing you plug into it is the ONT, the larger ones can last for a couple days.

This will keep the battery charged and if your power is out longer enough that it discharges the UPS, you can unplug the UPS, go charge it somewhere for a few hours (the battery in the ONT will hold for up to 8-hours) and then come back and reeconnect the UPS to repower the ONT again (or if you have an inverter -- again relative;y inexpensive to obtain, you may be able to recharge the UPS or even keep the battey backup alive using power from your car battery.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.