The Future Is Now

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

The Future Is Now

Message 1 of 3
(9,701 Views)

After Storm Sandy hit our NJ coast, many decisions on rebuilding were required.  This article describes the choices made by Big Telco to address the problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/technology/on-a-new-jersey-islet-twilight-of-the-landline.html?pag...

Aside, does wireless make it easier for those NSA types too look at my "stuff"?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: The Future Is Now

Message 2 of 3
(9,693 Views)

@armond_in_nj wrote:

Aside, does wireless make it easier for those NSA types too look at my "stuff"?

Pretty much. That, and considering Verizon's new shiny LTE network suffers from some old GSM exploits, which include not only on-demand decryption of calls in range and MITM attacks, but full blown DDoS attacks on towers (can be executed just by tethering an old dumb phone to a computer). Just by design of GSM itself.

Of course, who knows what is going on within the PSTN or copper network that makes easedropping on calls easy. Last I checked, analog copper isn't exactly encrypted. AT&T's already done their part by allowing the government into a bunch of their major Exchanges. Otherwise, you can hope that new NSA Datacenter using Cray supercomputers to decrypt and monitor everything, continues to have issues with the believed power explosions that are going on.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: The Future Is Now

Message 3 of 3
(9,681 Views)

Here on Long Island we have a strip of land called Fire Island that protects the main land from the brute force of the Ocean.  Fire Island is mainly a summer destination for many but is also home to a handful of year round residents.  Just like the barrier Islands of NJ, Fire Island took quite a hit.  For FI residents and businesses Verizon has decided against restoring POTS lines and will rely upon wireless for phone.

Prior to Sandy coming through it would have been a slight concern but after Sandy, people are scared about relying upon Cell Service.  With the massive amount of power outages the use of cell phones after the hurricane was not existent.  Cell towers either had no power or were running on low power.  I know plenty of folks that did not have cell phone coverage for days after the hurricane.  

Jim

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.