Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

BBU "chirping"

ccurvey
Contributor
Contributor

BBU "chirping"

Message 1 of 3
(3,226 Views)

I'm not a FiOS customer, but the previous owner of my house apparently was, as there is Verizon networking equipment installed in the basement. 

One of the boxes (which I think is the Battery Backup Unit, BBU), is now "chirping" about once every 30 seconds or so.  I thought it was a smoke alarm telling me that a battery was low.  There are no trouble lights on the unit (but there are some lights, so the unit is powered on.)

Since I'm not a Verizon customer, is there any downside to just detaching the battery and unplugging the unit?  (I don't really feel the need to pay for a new battery to power hardware that I'm not using.)

2 REPLIES 2
ccurvey
Contributor
Contributor

Re: BBU "chirping"

Message 2 of 3
(3,186 Views)

Never mind.  It's not the BBU (or any Verizon gear) at all.  There's a !#$%!$ smoke detector installed under the floorboards, above the finished ceiling.

somegirl
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II

Re: BBU "chirping"

Message 3 of 3
(3,108 Views)

Well, glad you found the cause of the beeping. 🙂

For future reference, if you are not using ANY Verizon services, then there should be no harm in unplugging the BBU.

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title