Bill from CMR Claims Department for Drop Wire
artmasony

Aftering 811 (Miss Utility of Virginia) was contacted and markings were placed on the ground, I begun working on a project. To my surprize one of the cables lines went unmarked which I discovered after digging, unintentionally cutting a Verizon wire. For the project I needed to dig 6 inches, but the wire was only 2.5 inches in the ground. I know the wire should have been at least 18 inches deep per National Electric Code 830.47 titled "Underground Network-Powered Broadband Communications Cables Entering Buildings". I have a photograph below illustrating the wire depth, just under the surface of the grass.

A Verizon repair crew followed up the incident and came to replace the wire. After talking to them they confirmed to me that everything would be okay as the wire was left unmarked by 811 and was only 2.5 inches into the ground. I was told that I was not at fault and would not have to worry about covering the costs. At no point was I told that I would be responsible for the damage nor was I presented with any paperwork. Following the repair crew another Verizon employee came to verify that the repair was sucessful, and reiterated to me the same information that the initial repair crew told me. Again, at no point was I told that I would be at fault for this incident, I was simply told that it would not be a problem.

The incident took place on 08/13/2014 but to my surprise I just recieved a bill in the mail recently on 12/23/2014 for $787.20 !!! This is despite the repair crew and verifier both telling me that I would not be held accountable and that no further action would be needed on my part! Additionally, over the course of these 4 months I was never notified by any Verizon employee or 3rd party that this would be occurring.

This whole incident is extremely troubling to me and if I could recieve one-on-one help from a Verizon Agent it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you time.

0 Likes
Re: Bill from CMR Claims Department for Drop Wire
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi artmasony,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes