Cable management outside my home is unsatisfactory, how to resolve?
chasethechief77

imagemy cables vs my neighbors...

My coax and fiber optic cables are on the left.  My neighbors are on the right.  As you can see mine are a mess.  I dont think they were installed well initiallly, however there was previously a large tree concealing them.  Now that they are exposed (tree was removed) this issue greets everyone as they enter my home.  Note that there is maybe 10 feet of excess fiber optic cable hidden under my deck... The coax tools at lowes are very expensive otherwise id already have fixed those... 

I see three issues

1) the connection of fiber optic cables to the house is basically non existent, this is partially due to a large windstorm we had this past winter.  

2)  the coax cables that go into the splitter are all a tangled mess, I assume partially because they are way to long and need to be cut 

3)  the fiber optic cable(s) are too long and need to be cut / there should not be excess under my deck

please advise on how to resolve and who is reponsible, If I have to pay to get this fixed so be it, just needs to happen. 

0 Likes
Re: Cable management outside my home is unsatisfactory, how to resolve?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fiber is a funny thing.

Can't be coiled up eaasily. Nor is it easily cut and reterminated.

Not sure why they were able to make your neighbor's cable more to length.

You can add your own ties for the fiber.

As for coax cables, they are customer responsibility.

So feel free to do what you want to clean them up.

Is it possible that neighbor coax was cleaned up beofre FIOS install?

0 Likes
chasethechief77

Thanks for the response, I'm responding to your comments below:

"Fiber is a funny thing.

Can't be coiled up eaasily. Nor is it easily cut and reterminated.

Not sure why they were able to make your neighbor's cable more to length."

The amount of excess has nothing to do with fiber being funny, like i said its significant length...I could understand if it was a few feet more, but not 10 

"You can add your own ties for the fiber." - isnt this verizons responbility?  I realize i can do that, but I believe outside the house is verizons responsibility, and on top of that it was very poorly installed.  I just figured if i had to get the coax trimmed may as well do this as well

"As for coax cables, they are customer responsibility."  Even if they were installed by verizon?  I believe they are the customers responsiblity inside the house, but outside the house im not so sure, but like i said before, I'm willing to pay to get help as the tools to cut coax are expensive, may as well pay the tradesman to get a quality job done.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree that fiber should have been done better by Verizon.

But tying it up is not expensive. May be less aggravation to do it yourslef.

Same with coax. I see a crimpter for $20.

Best time to have addressed this was the day of install.

And even though they installed coax, you are now responsible if there are any issues unless you purchased in home cable maintenance.

0 Likes