Opt Out of information of web browsing how?
Piperswoods
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do you Opt Out of Verizon/FIOS sharing my browser information to marketers now that Trump has shot down the privacy of us?

0 Likes
Re: Opt Out of information of web browsing how?
coryhokie

I also want to know how to do this.

0 Likes
HarryVederci
Enthusiast - Level 3

I previously posted about my anal/compulsiveness about privacy, so I course I have no Facebook account, Twitter, or any other social media account.  I laugh at all those people who do with a  shake of the head and chagrined chuckle.  I have a internet nom-de-plum that I always use online. I also use one time disposable email accounts for posting online and use Guerilla email service for sending emails. I use Firefox as my browser because of all the add ons it supports.  My add ons include: Ghostery (blocks trackers), plus Cookie Manager+ and Self Destructing Cookies.  Only close friends, relatives, and important businesses that I deal with (bank, mortgage co.) have my Verizon email address.  I use other email providers for all other email communication because we all know that Verizon has no ability to block spam from hitting your inbox.  My son gave my Verizon email address to his University and I got hit with spam after that.  It took 6 months of using Mailwasher to get me off the the spam lists.  For those who don't know about Mailwasher,  it has the ability to bounce email back to sender.  Spammers hate it when they get failed delivery notices.  The spam lists are so pervasive that it takes months to convince the spammers that your email address is not valid (but it really is!).   Imagine the amount of spam we will now be receiving because of the carte blanche the ISPs will be given.  I also pay Verizon each month to have an unlisted phone number. I  use FIOS dual ring feature for my home phone (it's set up to ring my cell phone) so I never give out my cell phone number except to family, friends and important businesses listed above.  The Verizon number blocker works quite well and I use it for the spam phone calls. 

To summerize my diatribe concerning internet privacy, Cookie Manager+ gives me the ability to delete cookies while I'm on that site which helps with Google and other harvesters, plus all the other add ons that I use on the browser helps me to remain as anonymous as feasible.  I've thought about and rejected using a VPN  because I have an 80/80 Mbs connection, I don't want to lose that speed.

Hopefully, I have given some pointers to those who have posted to this thread and future readers of this thread.  The thing that aggravates me the most is that I was told by a FIOS CSR to use this forum when I quizzed him about the future of our privacy with the relaxation of the ISP rules.  He informed me that Verizon reads these forums.  I cal **bleep** on that because has anyone ever seen a reply from Verizon on the forums? 

BTW, my user name is my internet nom de plume.  If you can, figure out its joke

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Piperswoods wrote:

How do you Opt Out of Verizon/FIOS sharing my browser information to marketers now that Trump has shot down the privacy of us?

I don't believe this is possible. Under the Privacy link at the Verizon Web Site there were clickable opt out buttons etc. 

I believe Verizon has stated they were still going to honor their customers choices.

Most browsers have the ability for stealth web browsing. And do not track features.

However ISP's have been sending generic ad's and click through links in web pages for many years. Always remember what ISP's come out with to take away your privacy, there are companies out there who will defeat those efforts.

0 Likes
fullbodyscammer
Enthusiast - Level 1

"stealth mode"/"do not track"/"incognito mode" do nothing to prevent your information from being viewed by people and computers outside of your local machine. If you open a Chrome tab as Incognito, the splash page even tells you that. It is limited to your local account.

Secondly, the closest I could find to opting out is the following:

-Sign in on verizon.net

-Go to My Verizon->Services->Internet

-Go to My Internet and click "Manage"

-Go to "Change Internet Plan" and click "Manage Online Advertising Preferences"

-Mark the box for "Do Not Participate" and click 'Save'

It claims it'll be a week before it goes into effect. Why it takes a week to remove someone from a list, i'll never know.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to also sign up for nomorobo (its free).
They use simultaneous ring to match numbers against a database to see if caller looks like spam. If so, you hear one ring and then it answers.

0 Likes
Re: What's Verizon's policy moving forward with user privacy?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer support forum.

You may want to look at Verizon twitter feed (I want to say I saw them post something there).

Or check their official news releases.

0 Likes
Re: What's Verizon's policy moving forward with user privacy?
HarryVederci
Enthusiast - Level 3

As stated in my above post, I do not use social media.  So there is no Twitter for me.  Also as stated in above post,  I am just relaying what the FIOS CSR told me about Verizon following the threads and commenting on them. 

If this is just a user forum with no input from Verizon, then we're all wasting our time.

0 Likes
HarryVederci
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ fullbodyscammer

I'm sorry, this is not the solution and by designating it as such, false information is being spread.  The opt in for privacy does not stop the ISP from mining your data and selling it to others.  This is another revenue generator and most probably their largest revenue as compared to their in house sales.

The privacy option may block Verizon from targeting ads but if you note, it says nothing about selling your data to 3rd parties. Most advertising is done by 3rd parties.  It's the ad agency that buy either space or time, not the company that the commercial is promoting.  Allstate does not buy time or space, its ad agency does.  Having worked in broadcasting for all my life, I know about spot buyers.  These are national agencies that sell either time (radio/TV) or space (newpapers/magazines) in local markets.  This method targets local areas for specific goods or services.  ie: it isn't as cost effective to buy ad time nationally for, let's say, snow blowers.  Those are cold weather products that don't sell many, if any, in warm weather places such as Arizona or New Mexico.

0 Likes
Internet Privacy
elvisbus

How does one opt out of allowing Verizon to share my internet history?

0 Likes