Consumer RIghts
Comsumer_Rights
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm looking for help with Consumer Rights.  

I tried to call a Verizon Representative but she couldn't help me.  They said they will have a manager call me back.  

For the last 2 years I had FIOS Triple play.   I paid $85 after taxes for everything.  My two-year contract expired - I wanted to keep my old plan.  I liked FIOS all around.  I decided to stay with them.  At the time when I signed on they offered a free standard set-top box for life as long as you had the service and I believe a free DVR.  However, they ran out of the free stnadard set-top box and the installers didn't have the DVR and I didn't really want/need one.   So I just had the basic Triple Play package for the TV in my living room and a small TV in my bedroom.  

I spent an hour on the phone with the Verizon Customer Representative trying to figure out a good plan.  I wanted the same plan but they said they didn't offer it.  We finally agreed upon a plan that would be slightly more after taxes - $95 per month for two years.  It would included the Triple Play and the DVR if I did a two-year contract.  Even though I rarely use the phone, only use light Internet surfing and TV watching I thought it would be a good given inflation.  The Customer Representative knew I wanted to keep my bill low.  

My July bill was $95.  This current bill is $103!  I didn't realize any funny business in the July bill because it was supposed to be $95.  I took a closer look and that's because a -$20.00 two month saving expired.  Looks like a a -$19.99 Multi-Room DVR is going to expire next month too!  My bill was $85 and now it looks like it will be $123 -  wayyyy more than the $95 we agreed on!!  I feel like I was tricked!  They said I needed to pay over $200 to get out of the contract.  I was supposed to get a 2-year price not a 2-month discount just to lock me into the contract until I noticed.  I feel I was deceived.  These business practices I feel are or should be illegal.  

Personally - I want my old plan back.  If not, I want the plan I was promised - $95 a month after all taxes for two years.  

What should I do when the manager doesn't honor it?  Is there a way to get out of the contract?  

I feel like I should contact Consumer Affairs, any suggestions?

If it is not resolved I feel I should let people know of this deceitful practice so they don't get tricked and take to the online masses.  

Twitter?  Facebook?  My blog?  

I looked at Consumer Affairs and this doesn't look like a new scam.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/pr2005/pr_072105.shtml

NYC DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS SUES MAJOR WIRELESS COMPANIES FOR DECEPTIVE CELL PHONE ADVERTISING

City Seeking Fines and Industry Compliance with Consumer Protection Law

New York, N.Y. -- New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) Acting Commissioner Jonathan Mintz today announced the agency has filed suit in New York Supreme Court against three major wireless companies for pitching cell phones and services in deceptive advertisements that misled consumers. DCA filed suit against Nextel Communications Inc., Sprint Spectrum L.P., and T-Mobile USA Inc. seeking maximum fines and compliance with New York City's landmark Consumer Protection Law.

"You can't promise a great deal in the headline and hide the true costs in the fine print," said DCA Acting Commissioner Jonathan Mintz. "If a cell phone company promises free long distance, consumers should get free long distance - period. Consumers rely on advertising as a shortcut through the often-confusing maze of wireless options and the City's law provides protection to ensure those ads are truthful. While clamoring for competitive consumer attention, these major cell phone companies crossed the clear line between promotional gimmicks and deceptive advertising. It doesn't matter whether the business is selling cars, tax services, or cell phones, everyone has to follow the same rules."

The DCA also pursued claims against AT&T Wireless (since acquired by Cingular Wireless LLC), Cingular Wireless, and Verizon Wireless for deceptive advertising, but those companies settled and agreed to fully comply with the New York City Consumer Protection Law in their marketing.

Mintz noted, "Verizon led the industry in committing to comply with the Consumer Protection Law and settling claims, and we are pleased that others followed."

Re: Consumer RIghts
AlienK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon is getting too greedy with deceptive practice. I just posted here today titled "Verizon deceptive practice". I think we should complain to BBB, and go to tweeter, fackbook, etc to let people see it, which may get some media involved.

0 Likes
Comsumer_Rights
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to speak to the manager but he/she wasn't available when I called Friday.  They told me to wait until Monday since I called on Friday and it had to be 24 hours and the weekends didn't count.  Well it's Monday evening and I never got a call back.    

I'm going to call them again.  If the problem isn't resolved I will file a complaint with Consumer Affairs, BBB and maybe small claims court or a class-action lawsuit.  Afterwards, I will take to social media.  Hopefully they resolve this today as I don't want to waste my time because of these deceptive practices.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Comsumer_Rights,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Comsumer_Rights,

We have closed your private support case due to no response. Please make a new thread anytime you need assistance.

- Jose_VZ

0 Likes