Contract Bait and Switch
johnnie99

My family and I moved into a short term rental property while our new house was being built.  We knew that we were only going to be in it for 3-4 months.  I was thrilled that Verizon was offering no contract FiOS packages, and ordered a double play through the website with the No Annual Contract option.  We enjoyed 4 months of great service from Verizon.  The time came when our house was ready and it was time to move.  Unfortunately, FiOS was not in the area where we were moving to, so I had to cancel service.  I was shocked to find out that, when I attempted to cancel, that they told me I had a 24 month contract, and I had to pay a $250 ETF!!!  I escalated through several levels of management trying to get it resolved, but apparently, Verizon slipped in 24 month contract language in the order confirmation email sent to me after I placed the order.  Of course, it didn't say 24 month contract anywhere in the order details, it was buried in the fine print at the very bottom of the email.  I was told that I should have called and had the problem resolved when the order confirmation was sent to me, and that there was nothing they could do; I was responsible for the ETF! 

How utterly terrifying that you can order one thing, and they provide you something completely different that you didn't want, and then refuse to correct the issue!  I will be sending letters to both Mike Ritter, CMO, and Maureen Davis, VP Customer Care for the Mid-Atlantic as a final attempt to resolve the issue.  Otherwise, I will be taking the matter to media consumer advocates, the BBB, and other outlets as necessary to inform the public of these tactics.

0 Likes
Re: Contract Bait and Switch
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi johnnie99,

Sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes