SALES PRACTICE
tatyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is the most effective way to declare Verizon's dishonest selling practices?  BBB, Consumer Affairs, FCC?  There doesn't seem to be a complaint vehicle directly via Verizon.

Today via chat I upgraded my internet service speed while retaining the bundle (TV/Internet/Phone).  During the chat I stated that I do not want a monthly bill increase and retain all my existing channel line up.  I was led to believe by the agent that after one-time installation charge the total bill will not exceed what I'm currently paying and all my existing services would be in-tact.

After carefully reviewing the order confirmation email I noticed that my premium channels were not explicitly stated.  I contacted Verizon via chat right away and was told that to retain my existing channel line-up there will be an additional charge of $30 (plus taxes and fees).

Of course I cancelled my order.   While Verizon offers no way to email transcripts of the chats, I copied/pasted it manually and have full record of the conversation that had transpired - so there's evidence of how I was deliberately mislead and lied to. 

I want other consumers to be aware that they will be duped by dishonest agents and want Verizon to take proper action to ensure communication is honest and transparent with their customers.

Re: DECEPTIVE SALES PRACTICE: need to file a complaint
jonjones1
Legend

There is a problem if you think asking for a speed upgrade is going to be zero cost.

think for a moment, even if you keep tv and phone as part of the triple play the internet costs will raise since more speeds means more cost to you.

you really cannot complain about getting a higher price when you are wanting more speeds. 

All the places you mentioned after verizon answers the same way I did to you, will deny your complaint. Even complaining to your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission will be for nothing.

its best to research costs prior to looking to upgrade or downgrade services. You also must factor in early termination fee if under a contract, and any change to a contract can result in higher cost.

i am a customer like yourself, so I am not writing as an agent of Verizon anything. I am however using common sense.

0 Likes
tatyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told about the offer when I contacted support regarding an unrelated issue.  Since I qualified for higher speed I was only told about a $99 one time fee for the upgrade.  I explicitly clarified with an agent prior to agreeing that I will retain all my services and she had assured me that price quoted would be what I would pay.  

It is only after I received the confirmation and reached out for more info, I found out that I'll have re-occurring additional $30/mo charge to retain my original channel line-up.

You can pass judgement all you want, but Verizon's deceptive practices got me here.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Not passing judgment. I am human as you.

the fee is just to upgrade. However you were told wrong information from the sales droid. You must realize sales will say anything to effect a sale.

many times the sales pitch leave out little details. Higher cost per month, upgrade fees and other charges. And ask yourself why would they (Verizon) have to change anything else other than your speed tier. You were bamboozeled which if you google it will find you are not alone with this practice.

tatyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

"You must realize sales will say anything to effect a sale."

When customer is asking a direct question and response is designed to mislead them, it's not just a matter of "getting a sale".

These deceptive practices are not only unethical, they're illegal.  And I have everything in writing since I copied the chat.

jonjones1
Legend

@tatyb wrote:

"You must realize sales will say anything to effect a sale."

When customer is asking a direct question and response is designed to mislead them, it's not just a matter of "getting a sale".

These deceptive practices are not only unethical, they're illegal.  And I have everything in writing since I copied the chat.

What maybe illegal or unethical is something for State Public Service Commissions or Attorney Generals Offices or the regulating authorities over Verizon and other such companies.

0 Likes
tatyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, when sales person effectively misleads the customer which will cost them hard earned cash and an iron clad contract, it's just a matter of being "bamboozeled" and determination of legality of the issue is for  State Public Service Commissions or Attorney Generals Office.  Got it!!  You've been great help, jonjones!!  But I'll take my case to consumer protecting agencies.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tatyb wrote:

So, when sales person effectively misleads the customer which will cost them hard earned cash and an iron clad contract, it's just a matter of being "bamboozeled" and determination of legality of the issue is for  State Public Service Commissions or Attorney Generals Office.  Got it!!  You've been great help, jonjones!!  But I'll take my case to consumer protecting agencies.

I can see you won’t listen. The State Public Service Commission or State Attorney Generals Office are CONSUMER PROTECTING AGENCIES.

however this is my last attempt to help you. You go to any consumer agency you want.

http://www.fcc.gov

http://www.bbb.org

http://www.ftc.gov 

0 Likes
hardrein
Enthusiast - Level 1

they tied a similar scam with me.....roped me into a 2 yr contract with a mnthly bill quoted as $113.65....1 year later...i kept getting a carry over even though i was auto paying $113.65...upon finally reviewing my bill i discovered that although i was in a 2yr contract...the 2nd yr my bill was jacked up2 $154.13....when i called they offered me a reduced rate to $130 but i wld need to commit to brand new 2yrs contract.....I hung up....I complained to the FCC with the argument that all their adv clearly states a 2yr price guarantee that's the entire advantage to entering into a 2yrs contract.....the fcc agreed and forced them to honor my contract ...reduce my rate back to $113.65.....go straight to the FCC...

redbaron152
Enthusiast - Level 2

I paid Verizon $90/mo for a Landline and Basic Internet monthly. I switched to Spectrum and I pay $35/mo. The Rep said that there was a mistake and asked me "Doesn't that sound too good to be true?" He said that Spectrum was charging $50/mo just for the internet.
LYING AND LYING FOR 15 STRAIGT YEARS. I overpaid Verizon $10,000 over 15 years. They take advantage of the elderly, disabled and misinformed and LIED TO CUSTOMERS LIKE ME.
I told Verizon I wanted my bill slashed by $40/mo but they said all they could do was give me a deal of $95/mo; $5 more than the current bill!!!!

I WANT AS MANY PEOPLE TO KNOW THIS AS POSSIBLE.

customer service - there is none. You can never ever talk to a live human being 24/7 every day.