ETF - even if retaining internet
S-a-m

I’m really getting sick of this **bleep**. Currently on a ‘double play’ - but simply no longer watch enough tv to justify the cost, and will pair down to just internet. 

2 x FIOS CSR’s continue to say that there’ll be an ETF charged as its breaking the agreement with TV. That is simply unacceptable. In today’s era, I’m now likely to just quit and cancel all of my services with Verizon (including cell phones) - and move to another provider. All of that lost business is SUBSTANTIALLY MORE $$$ in the future for the new company than what an ETF will be for Verizon. 

I’m willing to stay with Verizon for internet - even at a higher speed plan, but NOT if they’re going to charge an ETF. I’ll just leave and go to another provider - of which they’ll reimburse me for my ETF charges if I commit to them. 

C’mon Verizon. Get with the program

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: ETF - even if retaining internet
jonjones1
Legend

Its a threat which as long as your still a customer they cannot collect an early termination fees on.

i would contact your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission via google search. They can set them straight.

if you leave completely the etf will be prorated so its not that much and as you said the other provider will pay you for those fees. Usually via gift card.

just get internet and if you want tv go to streaming tv its no bogus fees or taxes.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ETF is just ont he TV service (read your terms of service).
You have benefited on fixed TV service rates, that is why you have an ETF.

So I doubt your local PSC wil be of much help given that they are just following the contract you agreed to.

You can drop down to the very lowest TV service (locals only).

You just need to decide what would be cheaper: Pay the ETF or pay for cheap TV service.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The terms of service does not mention downgrading or removing certain portions of your (their) service. An early termination fee is on “staying for a certain length of time” even if that were the case of charging an early termination fee it would be on a portion of the service not the whole of the service. So lets say they have a termination fee of $300 in the two years and it is reduced down to say $150 after year one. Now they drop tv. So technically the etf would be half of that double play. $75 but as the poster stated they will just leave and get the fees paid by the other provider.

verizon should want to retain the customer since the early termination fees are slight in the total costs per month. Lose $700 or $800+ for a small $75 is not too bright.

the Public Service Commission will question the ETF under those circumstances. You have to remember the customer reps are trying to scare you into staying to increase the revenue of their employer. 

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/Fios-TV-TOS-02282019-v19-1-ENGLISH.pdf

In section 10 (b) it does state verizon may access a early termination fee on the bundle if the customer or verizon cancels the bundle. Ask yourself if verizon cancels why would the customer pay the fee? Same for the wording “May Access” of which it would be foolish to do so to lose the total revenue.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is exactly what it says.

EXCEPTAS OTHERWISE SETFORTH INTHIS AGREEMENT, IFYOUHAVE
CHOSEN TOSUBSCRIBETO ABUNDLED SERVICESPLANWITHAMINIMUM
TERM COMMITMENT, IFANYOFTHEBUNDLESERVICESARE TERMINATED
BYYOUOR BYUSBEFORECOMPLETING YOURMINIMUMTERM,THEN YOU
AGREE TOPAY VERIZONTHEEARLYTERMINATION FEESETFORTHIN THE
BUNDLED SERVICES PLANYOUHAVECHOSEN.

I don't see any may in this section.

This is pretty standard across service providers.

The reason for it is to stop people for signing upon too get a cheap deal may be to watch a show or some other series and then drop when it is over.

Pretty sure the lawyers have made this airtight and don't think the PSCs will give it a second thought.

Customers agreed whether they read it or not.

It may not make business sense to us, but they are in the business and we aren't.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

An early termination fee will not retain any customer for a drop down of services.

think of it. ETF is $150-$75 thinking it is not after day one. Sliding fee. So verizon accesses the fee. They lose the customer completely and loses $3000.00 plus in charges. Yeah i am sure that is what should be done. Trade $75 for $3000.00

If they are smart, they eat the little termination fee and save the larger amount. I can tell you a public service commission will look at the full issue. It may be settled down.

but it only takes a phone call to find out.

0 Likes