Editing personal Verizon website in HTML
RCP

Hello all - new sign up here (RCP)

I'm trying to transfer an existing site (from Geocities) to my alloted space on Verizon.

I can use the sitebuilder to set up a site with the offered templates & editor. I did that and published as simple as possible a page.

Verizon help says first do that, then use ftp account and ws_ftp to upload more files.

I  can use ws_ftp to transfer the files from my PC hard drive to the Verizon location. Apparently that worked, since I now have 17% of my allotment used up. In ws_ftp I can see my newly uploaded files, along with the files produced by the sitebuilder editor.

I've tried replacing the sitebuilder provided index.html with the desired index.htm file I've uploaded - same name used.

If I try to preview the site, I only see the sparse site first published with sitebuilder.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a way to really start from scratch and upload ready html page.

I haven't used anything fancy as html, so I don't think that's the problem. It's more a problem replacing the sitebuilder webpage with my own.

I take it there's no online html editor, so I have to prepare it on my PC and upload when done?

I prepared it with Netscape communicator or Seamonkey.

Many thanks!

RCP

0 Likes
Re: Editing personal Verizon website in HTML
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

Hello and welcome!   I don't have a Verizon site but I use Sitebuilder to create web sites on Yahoo.   I'm not all that sure I know what is the hang-up as it seems you've followed the instructions provided by Verizon.   You may have to address this directly with their technical support or Verizon webmaster.

However, I did notice something that you just posted which just may be the problem or it could just be a misspelling.   Here is what you posted:

@RCP wrote:

Hello all - new sign up here (RCP)

I've tried replacing the sitebuilder provided index.html with the desired index.htm file I've uploaded - same name used.

In the above, the second time you wrote index.html you left off the " l ".     If this is just a misspelling here then all is ok, but if you renamed your website home page "index.htm" and not "index.html" then you'll NEVER see it.   Double check that, as I've inadvertently done it myself.    Other than that one item I wouldn't be able to offer anything else.

The telephone number for the Verizon Web Hosting Department is:  877-988-3775.

Also, you might want to repost this in the following section of the forum which seems to have a few more threads (postings) about web hosting:

Residential Products and Services . . . General Verizon Products and Services

I hope any of this helps 🙂

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 05-31-2009 01:35 PM
RCP

Thanks DarkCobra,

Yes, that was a typo. Actually I tried replacing using both htm and html extensions. Neither works. I notice toda a day later that my usage went from 17 to 30% so maybe it takes a long time for Verizon to recognize changes? I see them immediately in ws_ftp.

When I try to edit my website using sitebuilder I just see the very simple original page churned out by site builder. When I try to preview it or just plug my URL into a browser I get 404 can't find error messages.

I looked at the other General Verizon Products and Services section of the forum and found someone who apparently did import a website from outside to Verizon and await a reply as to how he did it.

I haven't tried the direct 877 number. I'll try that too, but am not too hopeful based on other messages about Verizon Service.

Many thanks for your help!

RCP

0 Likes
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi again RCP!   I don't know if your Sitebuilder operates like mine or not.   Your web host is verizon and mine is yahoo.   However, when you complete working on a page you have to hit the "Save" button up on the toolbar and then hit the "Publish" button.   I'm going to presume you are doing this already and this was just a shot in the dark.   Both are required for the page to display.   I have the feeling you are very close because the data clearly is loading . . . it's just not displaying.   Please post back when you get it resolved as I'm really curious now what is the issue.

0 Likes
RCP

Hi DarkCobra,

This is the sitebuilder on Verizon.  I can edit the basic pagethat it produced - and if I save changes and publish again I see that site using my URL.

But I still can't see the site I've tried to upload.

Actually I'm trying to move a site from geocities (yahoo),  since I just noticed that Geocities is to be discontinued 'sometime later this summer'. Geocities had a couple pagebuilderoptions, one of which let you preview & display as a HTML file. If that was available on Verizon, I could just cut & paste my HTML code and be done with it.

Alas,

I'll let you know if I have success, thanks,

RCP

0 Likes