FIOS DVR -- lacking some features
hokie757
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had DVR service with my previous company, so I was used to the interface, etc... when I got FiOS, I was excited about the nicer interface, but after using the DVR, I am starting to wonder if it is really better.  Here are some issues I have run into:

1.  Sometimes the DVR will not remember where I am in the show, when I go to resume playback, I have to start at the beginning.  It would be better if:

a. it would remember my place in the show ALL THE TIME, especially if I change the channel during playback.  

b. allow me to jump ahead in 15 minute increments for the times that it didnt remember where I left off

2.  I have this terrible lag sometimes when I just want to browse the DVR list or use the guide.. its like I have to wait 5-7-10 seconds for the box to realize that I am pressing the left/right/up/down arrow.  Very annoying.

3.  I have the multiroom DVR, yet I can't set up a recording from my non-DVR boxes.  Wow.

4.  The obvious $100 million dollar question -- when can we get more storage?!?! 160 GB?  Come on... I have 3 TB in my computer now.

Does anyone else share in these problems, I know everyone wants the option to expand the storage... but what about the other items, especially the lag when browing the dvr list -- anyone else have that problem?

Thanks,

Billy

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DVR -- lacking some features
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@hokie757 wrote:

I had DVR service with my previous company, so I was used to the interface, etc... when I got FiOS, I was excited about the nicer interface, but after using the DVR, I am starting to wonder if it is really better.  Here are some issues I have run into:

1.  Sometimes the DVR will not remember where I am in the show, when I go to resume playback, I have to start at the beginning.  It would be better if:

a. it would remember my place in the show ALL THE TIME, especially if I change the channel during playback.  

b. allow me to jump ahead in 15 minute increments for the times that it didnt remember where I left off

2.  I have this terrible lag sometimes when I just want to browse the DVR list or use the guide.. its like I have to wait 5-7-10 seconds for the box to realize that I am pressing the left/right/up/down arrow.  Very annoying.

3.  I have the multiroom DVR, yet I can't set up a recording from my non-DVR boxes.  Wow.

4.  The obvious $100 million dollar question -- when can we get more storage?!?! 160 GB?  Come on... I have 3 TB in my computer now.

Does anyone else share in these problems, I know everyone wants the option to expand the storage... but what about the other items, especially the lag when browing the dvr list -- anyone else have that problem?

Thanks,

Billy

Very common complaints/observations

1. This is a known issue. it is supposted to remember where you left off and offer a "resume", They are working on this and they say this is supposed to be addressed in the next update on the IMG. (late this year tentatively)

2. This is another known issue that is going to be addressed in the next IMG upgrade. But there is a tempory fix for this that works for a lot of people.  What you do is on the DVR itself. press menu -->settings--->system info.   Now when you get to system info there are some secrete codes (shhh dont tell anyone  lol ) that will help clear some of the logs and other garbage that builds up in the dvr memory. This is like clearing the cache on a computer. Do the codes in this order.  After each code you should get a message saying "code entered successfully"

8888  (This clears any system logs, dont worry, no one uses these)

1472  (This clears any crash logs, again dont worry, not used)

2601  (This reboots the STB. Handy code for other things, may want to hold onto this one)

Usually this will get the box back up and running smoothly. However, if it is still running slowly add these codes

2617  (This clears the native memory on the box (this one may clear your favorites and upcomming scheduled recordings) )

2601  (reboot stb again)

Now none of these will clear the already recorded programs so you dont need to worry about loosing your soaps that have already been recorded (this is so the wife doesnt get mad)

If you have to move to the second set of codes, make sure that you go back in and make sure that your schedules are set back up so you dont miss the next soap. And then give it about an hour to completly reload. I usually dont have to go as far as using the 2617 code, usually the 8888 and 1472 are sufficient.

3.  yeah, MRDVR only has true controls at the DVR itself. the remote boxes only have playback capibility. This is mostly due to a lack of memory. The other STB's just dont have the memory to hold the program needed to have dvr controls. They can barely handle the playback feature as it is.

4.  Verizon has been promising bigger boxes for a while now. I think they are waiting to roll out a new manufacturer. Earlier this year they were saying that they were testing some Cisco STB's that are supposed to come in and replace or suppliment the Motorola boxes. Last I heard (very early this year) they were in the testing phases, and with all the problems they've had with the Motorola systems and the other services they've been rolling out. I suspect that they are testing the cisco's heavily so that they dont have more of the same. If I remember right the cisco's are supposed to have 500gig drives or larger and there is even talk about allowing for external drives so that we can expand to our hearts content. This may be just the rumor mill, but we can hope

hokie757
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that info... I am going to give the codes a shot and see if it helps.  There is nothing worse than hearing the wife complain about how slow the box is.  Hopefully this will help alleviate some of those delays.

As for the Cisco STB, that would be great if true.  Anything is better than 160GB of storage!

Thanks again!

0 Likes
FiosVictim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is THAT ALL?  Goodness, not only YOUR noted issues, but I wrote this list in minutes....

1) DVR frequently crashes when selecting a VoD feature.
2) STB loses all sound after pausing live TV (must switch channel to recover audio).
3) Pause only lasts 30 minutes, then goes to LIVE TV so I have to rewind! (with sports, it is a SPOILER).
4) Pause on VoD is even shorter!  I must also MUTE to avoid interruptions to any phone call...
5) Have to push VERY HARD on each remote button and then I get "multiple" presses registered.
6) It is typical to lose the video/audio feed during a live program, especially in early morn hours - just drops

the broadcast and the program is lost!
7) Tiling of (non-sports) video is not uncommon - every day of viewing has a minute or so - not a disaster,

but this NEVER happened with CABLE!
😎 During DVR playback to my primary TV, it will black out audio/video for 3 seconds about 4 times per hour.
9) I cannot set extended STOP time for a current recording!  Why?
10) It takes forever to move forward several days in the guide - it even sticks so frequently,

so holding the forward is not enough!
11) One cannot view "old"portions (e.g. last hour) of the guide to see what has been recently played, thus:
  - once a show is completed, I cannot easily schedule it for viewing next week,
  - I cannot find sports events that have already completed the scheduled timeslot but are still
    playing (e.g. the World Series in late innings!!) - can't find the right channel via guide!

The User Interface is pretty, but VERY bad - VZ is THE ultimate Dumb Blonde of Triple Play!!!  There is so

MUCH MORE proof of inadequacy just for the Video service!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend
I understand that you are experiencing these issues, but not all customers, I suspect not anywhere near most, experience all of them. Just fyi, I have imbedded my experience with the FiOS QIP6416 DVR, which I have had for a little over 4 years (original DVR):

@FiosVictim wrote:

Is THAT ALL?  Goodness, not only YOUR noted issues, but I wrote this list in minutes....

1) DVR frequently crashes when selecting a VoD feature.

Has never crashed selecting a VOD.
2) STB loses all sound after pausing live TV (must switch channel to recover audio).

Have never experienced this.
3) Pause only lasts 30 minutes, then goes to LIVE TV so I have to rewind! (with sports, it is a SPOILER).

True, not a good design.
4) Pause on VoD is even shorter!  I must also MUTE to avoid interruptions to any phone call..

Not sure of length of pause, have never had it start up again from pause without me telling it to. Maybe I am just faster at getting to and from the kitchen or the bathroom. Smiley Very Happy
5) Have to push VERY HARD on each remote button and then I get "multiple" presses registered.

Don't have to do this. I do, however, have to aim the remote pretty directly at the DVR, or well above it toward the ceiling). Same remote works just fine with SD STB so it is something with the DVR. Could it be as simple as you need to replace the batteries?
6) It is typical to lose the video/audio feed during a live program, especially in early morn hours - just drops

the broadcast and the program is lost!

I am pretty sure this has never happened to me in 4 years. Certainly not recently (last 6 months).
7) Tiling of (non-sports) video is not uncommon - every day of viewing has a minute or so - not a disaster,

but this NEVER happened with CABLE!

Yes, get occasional tiling, maybe 2 to 3 times per hour, usually lasts for 2-3 seconds.
😎 During DVR playback to my primary TV, it will black out audio/video for 3 seconds about 4 times per hour.

Never experience this. I presume you are usng an HDMI connection, that seems to be the most common environemnt with this complaint, switching to component cables frequently fixes this. But I have been using HDMI for the entire 4 years without experiencing that.

9) I cannot set extended STOP time for a current recording!  Why?

Yes, this should be available. Generally not a big issue for me, if I know or suspect that the current program will run long I just record the following program. Not elegant, and a pain, but at least I get to see it.
10) It takes forever to move forward several days in the guide - it even sticks so frequently,

so holding the forward is not enough!

Don't understand this comment. It is easy and fast to go forward (and once forward then backward) a day at a time out as far as the Guide contains the data, by using the Skip Forward and Skip Backward keys on the remote. They don't work for you?
11) One cannot view "old"portions (e.g. last hour) of the guide to see what has been recently played, thus:
  - once a show is completed, I cannot easily schedule it for viewing next week,
  - I cannot find sports events that have already completed the scheduled timeslot but are still
    playing (e.g. the World Series in late innings!!) - can't find the right channel via guide!

True. But for me I cannot remember a time I wanted to go back beyond the current time. Just not my thing I guess. I agree it would be a good addition.

The User Interface is pretty, but VERY bad - VZ is THE ultimate Dumb Blonde of Triple Play!!!  There is so

MUCH MORE proof of inadequacy just for the Video service!

So yes, there are improvements needed, but not everybody experiences all of the things you are.

Keller, TX 76248