FIOS Stream TV
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I'm interested in the 2nd generation FIOS Stream TV.

There's not much information on the website. I reckon that there will be soon. All that I've seen so far are the dimensions & weight. I hope that there will be more information soon like the number of ports, RAM, processor, etc.

Doesn't it have Android TV?

I read online that Android TV is based on Android 9 & Google TV is based on Android 10.

FIOS downloads software & firmware updates to their hardware. I assume that any software or firmware updates are the responsibility of the owner of the FIOS Stream TV not FIOS.

So, I reckon that the owner of the FIOS Stream TV can upgrade to Android 10, Google TV correct?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Stream TV
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please disregard that this topic has been marked as solved. This post was marked as the solution in order to float it to the beginning of this thread for increased visibility.

Verizon's next generation Stream TV device is currently only available to Verizon wireless customers. The Verizon team is working diligently on a Next Gen Stream TV device for Fios internet customers. For now, existing Fios customers can access the new revamped User Interface (UI) experience on the Gen 1 Stream TV device. This new UI features an interface for Video On Demand offerings and updated content partner apps. If your Gen 1 device doesn't already have the new UI update, both wireless and wireline customers with the Gen 1 device can get the new UI experience by going to Settings, Device Preferences, About, System Update. From there, the customer can make the update and go through the onboarding process using their Verizon sign in credentials.

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/products/verizon-stream-tv/

not to worry the service is no longer offered. It was a dismal failure.

Google is your friend. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

HUH?

The 2nd generation Stream TV (the rectangular one not the square one) is no longer available?

Maybe that's why the only specifications for the 2nd generation Stream TV are dimensions & weight.

The website states "No longer available for purchase." for the 1st generation.

Well, darn!

I don't like the new Chromecast with Google TV. I don't like the remote & I don't like the home screen cluttered with "recommendations". I know that there's an app-only mode on the Chromecast.

Darn, I'll have to continue my search for a streaming box.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

HUH?

The 2nd generation Stream TV (the rectangular one not the square one) is no longer available?

Yes it is still available. The 2nd generation just came out last month.

jonjones1
Legend

After digging further 

https://www.verizon.com/products/verizon-stream-tv-gen-2/

however you can stream tv with any device like an appleTv or Roku or fire stick or a myriad of google or Amazon devices let alone the streaming built into many tv’s.

it doesn’t have to be Verizon of course if it is integrating their tv then yes it is available.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Whew!

The only specifications on the Verizon website for the 2nd generation Stream TV are its weight & its dimensions. I haven't seen anything on Google about Verizon discontinuing the 2nd generation Stream TV.

So, anyway, back to my original question.

Android TV is based on Android 9 & Google TV is based on Android 10. I don't like the home screen of Google TV cluttered with "recommendations".

I have an Android phone. It downloads updates automatically. I read online that Android TV can be upgraded to Google TV by sideloading 2 files & installing them.

Is it possible to keep Android TV & not upgrade to Google TV? Or will Android TV be upgraded to Google TV even though a person doesn't like Google TV?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32963587-Verizon-Stream-TV-Why

you may enjoy the article at the link above. In essence Verizon’s branded stream is not looked on favorably as other services.  I don’t use Verizon equipment under any circumstances. I like their wireless and Fios fiber internet. Both have been very dependable. But tv and phone forget it. There are cheaper and better services.

just google and find out for yourself.

0 Likes
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please disregard that this topic has been marked as solved. This post was marked as the solution in order to float it to the beginning of this thread for increased visibility.

Verizon's next generation Stream TV device is currently only available to Verizon wireless customers. The Verizon team is working diligently on a Next Gen Stream TV device for Fios internet customers. For now, existing Fios customers can access the new revamped User Interface (UI) experience on the Gen 1 Stream TV device. This new UI features an interface for Video On Demand offerings and updated content partner apps. If your Gen 1 device doesn't already have the new UI update, both wireless and wireline customers with the Gen 1 device can get the new UI experience by going to Settings, Device Preferences, About, System Update. From there, the customer can make the update and go through the onboarding process using their Verizon sign in credentials.

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
WarDiva

How about Firestick, Roku, or AppleTV?

0 Likes