FTTP installation into neighborhood - landscape damage
cwa107
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not currently a Verizon customer, but I did receive a note from a Verizon subcontractor, Quanta Services that is currently deploying FTTP to my development.

I came home from work today, surprised to find that my front yard is the primary construction site.  I have several pieces of  orange conduit sticking up about 4' into the air from a mulch bed near my lantern post in my front yard and some bushes are torn up, in addition to a few patches of grass. 

The grass I'm not so concerned about, since the contractor made it clear that they would be cleaning up/seeding the area when they're finished.  What I am concerned about is the mulch bed and shrubs that were damaged, along with a three inch deep bed of mulch that I just recently paid a landscaper to install and manicure.

Unfortunately, my wife disposed of the contact information for the subcontractor, and I do have a few questions about how repairs to this area will be undertaken - and when.  If someone could give me an idea of how I go about contacting the subcontractor, it would be much appreciated.

This installation is in Lower Swatara Township, Middletown PA (Greenwood Hills subdivision). 

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FTTP installation into neighborhood - landscape damage
cwa107
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update...

This morning, I found a second doorhanger with contact information for the subcontractor.

I also walked over to the construction crew and discussed my concern with the foreman.  He told me "we'll see what we can do" and I left it at that.  Later in the morning I called Quanta Services at the number they left on the doortag and spoke to a very friendly person who recorded my concerns and told me that someone would call me back later in the day.

So, I suppose I have the right number now and the correct avenue for addressing the issue.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Complaints about construction damage can be addressed through this number 866-339-5659. Do not select any prompts, just stay on the line and wait for an agent.

cwa107
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply and relocation of the thread.

However, this number appears to be the correct one to submit a claim for damage to property, and it assumes that there are witnesses as well as estimates for repair.  What I was looking for is the phone number for the subcontractor to find out what their plans are for remediation.

Regardless, I came home today to find that most everything was put back in order.  However, the mulch bed still needs some landscape work and all of the mulch is gone.

Additionally, there is a box buried inside my property line (not on the right-of-way,but  the area between the sidewalk and the street, where it is usually placed in my experience).

I find this exceptionally irritating because it was clearly done out of sheer laziness on the part of the contractor.  I intend to flag down the workers tomorrow and demand to have it removed.  Barring that, who do I contact for shoddy workmanship and also to clarify that no additional work be done on my property without explicit consent?

0 Likes
cwa107
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update...

This morning, I found a second doorhanger with contact information for the subcontractor.

I also walked over to the construction crew and discussed my concern with the foreman.  He told me "we'll see what we can do" and I left it at that.  Later in the morning I called Quanta Services at the number they left on the doortag and spoke to a very friendly person who recorded my concerns and told me that someone would call me back later in the day.

So, I suppose I have the right number now and the correct avenue for addressing the issue.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
EricJRW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just curious, what happened with the box on your property?

I saw something similar, but as it turns out there is an easement on the property and utilitiy companies can use the easment, even though it is technically on your property.

0 Likes
AJerrold
Enthusiast - Level 1

When FIOS was installed on my street, I considered switching to it, but for several reasons, decided not to. One of my main reasons was that I asked in advance whether Verizon would repair any damage caused by tunneling through the area where my underground sprinklers are, and under my expensive stone aggregate front walk (a distance of approx. 300 feet from the junction box; all utilities are underground.) NONE of the Verizon reps would answer 'yes'.  They ducked the question, talked about using local "professionals", implied that I shouldn't worry about it, and acted as though nobody had ever asked that question before. 

My next door neighbor went for the FIOS installation, and sure enough, the installers made a mess of his landscaping, including severing his sprinkler lines.  He's been battling to get this addressed ever since (it may have been addressed by now, not sure, this was a while ago but he was getting quite a runaround last time I checked.)

This is definitely an area where Verizon should step up its efforts and own responsibility for its installation services.  Until they do, count me out.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before installing the cables, be sure that someone marks where the cables are.

I point to

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FiOS-Installation/m-p/8323#M1098

0 Likes