FiOS ONT Battery Backup
CuriousMind1
Enthusiast - Level 2

A red illuminated notice and intermittent beep from my FiOS ONT terminal indicates that my rechargeable backup battery needs replacement. I've three questions concerning this: 1) Is Verizon the only supplier of this battery? 2) How long are these batteries expected to last? 3) The existing battery identifies the model to be a "Goldtop HS - GT 12080-HG, 12v - 8Ah, Non Spillable". However a sticker on the inside of the ONT battery cover indicates to replace only with a 12v-7Ah battery. Which is correct?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS ONT Battery Backup
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is not the only supplier for this battery.

You can find it available at most battery stores.

And if you don't have phone servcie (or don't care to have phone service in the event of a power outage) you can remove the battery all together.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is not the only supplier for this battery.

You can find it available at most battery stores.

And if you don't have phone servcie (or don't care to have phone service in the event of a power outage) you can remove the battery all together.

CuriousMind1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks CRobGauth,

I checked online and found replacement batteries on Amazon for as low as $14-$15. Interesting note, I also read where some FiOS customers were ditching the battery and replacing their battery backup with UPS back up systems (eg APC, TrippLite) which gave an extended backup time. I, unfortunately have to deal with keeping the backup. Although we have both Verizon digital phone service and wireless, the wife likes to talk to her sister on the landline. She likes the sound quality so she says. She speaks with her loving sister daily. She's the only reason we have a house phone.

Thanks again for your quick response.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does she use an old analog phone? If she uses cordless, it would be out of service when power is out.

That is all the battery is used for. To provide phone service when power is out.

CuriousMind1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That makes sense. Eventually it would run out of energy if the outage was extended. I suppose keeping a cheap cordless base on the The UPS would be wise then.

Thanks

0 Likes
doublenickel

If you choose to eliminate the battery all together, how do you get the low batterey alarm to stop?

0 Likes