Fraudulent Contract Extension without my Approval!
shyamp412
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon Fios last weekend for what seemed like a simple request. I was looking to see if there were options to downgrade my triple bundle package as most of my premium channels had been going unwatched and I did not utilize the landline. I had initially signed up for this package under a 2 year contract in November 2014, which expired in November 2016. This simple request turned into me being blindsided and shocked that my contract was actually extended to February 2019, an extension that I had not consented, agreed to, nor approved. Upon my contract ending in November 2016, my monthly price went up accordingly since I was not in a contract. I was ok with that since I knew this was the tradeoff for not being in a 2 year contract. In February 2017, I made a routine call to Verizon to see since I was not in a contract what I could amend to my bundle package to lower the price and remove the features that I do not utilize. The Verizon FIOS rep in February 2017 gave me several options, but since they all included signing an extension, I EXPLICITLY INFORMED THE REP THAT I WAS NOT INTERESTED AND DID NOT HAVE ANY INTENTION OF EXTENDING MY CONTRACT NOR WANTING TO EXTEND MY CONTRACT. During this call in February 2017, I informed the rep that I will keep note of her suggestions for the future, but am not agreeing to any of the changes as I did not want to extend my contract. Upon the end of the call, the rep informed me that I had an older modem model, and that I could swap out the model for a newer model for no charge. I asked her if this swap of the modem will have any impact on extension of my contract, to which she said no it will not extend my contract. Therefore, I agreed to swapping out the model, under the impression that it did not impact my contract.

Fact forward to this weekend (October 2017), and I called for a simple request, and was appalled when the FIOS rep informed me that my contract had actually been extended to February 2019, when I had agreed to the new modem in February 2017. I WAS SHOCKED AND APPALLED TO LEARN THAT THE REP IN FEBRUARY 2017 HAD FRAUDULENTLY SCAMMED ME BY DISGUISING A HARMLESS MODEM SWAP INTO A CONTRACT EXTENSION. Speaking with the rep over the weekend, they asked me how I was not able to notice the changes that have been made to my bill as the monthly charges went from $159 to $156 from February 2017 and moving forward till October 2017. I was thoroughly confused how a $3 price deviation is supposed to trigger a customer who pays on AutoPay that there is an amendment to his contract. Additionally, if I had consciously intended to extend my contract, I would have ensured that I received a savings of more than $3 measly dollars! She put up a brick wall with no sort of Customer Service assistance whatsoever (Alex from Massachusetts Escalation Dept), and told me there is nothing she can do. I am completely shocked at the level of unethical fraudulence committed by the Verizon FIOS rep in February 2017, and if this issue is not resolved appropriately and fairly, I will guarantee that my business, my family, nor my friends will ever use Verizon FIOS again in the future. What is even more shocking and appalling is that going through these forums, this seems like a common occurrence by Verizon FIOS. In a time where countless fraudulence is committed by various companies, such as the massive Wells Fargo Scandal, to reach quotas, it makes me think what sort of unethical behavior is going on in the backend through Verizon Fios.

I asked the Verizon rep to retrieve the recording I had with the rep in February 2017, where I EXPLICITLY VOICED THAT I DO NOT WANT TO EXTEND MY CONTRACT AND EXPLICITLY DID NOT AGREE TO EXTENDING MY CONTRACT, to which she said that calls cannot be retrieved for disputes. These message boards indicate that many customers have fallen victim to this fraudulent scam  of extending contracts with no agreement/consent, and I pray that this post leads to the proper escalation and resolution. 

Please have a employee with proper authority contact me for this escalation. It seems like the call centers employess are all tied together in this sort of fradulent scam behavior in attempt to collect bonuses. If I do not hear from Verizon within the next 3 business days I will escalate this by filing a complaint with the FCC and BBB. This is considered "slamming" by the FCC; an offence that is illegal for a telecommunication company to take. 

0 Likes
Re: Fraudulent Contract Extension without my Approval!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not saying it is your fault.

But did you receive an email back in Feb stating you had renewed your contract?

0 Likes
shyamp412
Enthusiast - Level 2

Negative - did not receive an email saying my contract was extended or renewed.

Received an email in regards to my modem swap.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi shyamp412,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes