Hotspot usage when no home installs are allowed
blargh1

Hi,

Posting this here because I'm not really sure where to go. I have used Verizon FiOS for my home internet for years, and Verizon Wireless for my cell phone service.

I moved into a new home last week, and had an appointment set up for FiOS installation on the day of the move. On the day before my move, the set up was cancelled due to concerns around COVID-19 and has been deferred indefinitely. As much as this sucks, especially because I like many people am working from home right now, I was fine with it and managed to get by this week by using the hotspot feature on my phone since I have an unlimited 4G LTE plan.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that there is a 15GB cap on the hotspot feature after which you get downgraded to 3G speeds. Video conferencing very quickly eats up that cap, and 3G is not enough to support this which is something I need to be able to do for work.

I tried contacting both FiOS and Wireless customer service to see if there were any exceptions that could be made since this is completely out of my control, but it seems like the only option available to me is to purchase rather expensive data packs. And even those are limited and I'd certainly end up hitting that limit in another week.

Given the circumstances, isn't there something Verizon can do here? This is clearly a software limitation and nothing to do with congestion on my local 4G network. I'm still able to get 4G speeds on my phone, but if I try to use it from my computer my speed is significantly slower. I'd be perfectly happy to pay my usual FiOS service charges if that would help. I would think this is an obvious decision for Verizon to make, but it seems like the customer service on the Wireless and FiOS sides of things are too disconnected for me to be able to make progress there. Who can I talk to that could actually make a meaningful decision about this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Hotspot usage when no home installs are allowed
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're talking mostly to other customers here.  You could try Verizon Executive relations.  There is a contact form for their EVP of Consumer Group that let's you reach out to the EVP's support team.  Google "Verizon Executive Relations."

Or, you can try their social media support, which you can reach through @VerizonSupport on Twitter.

I'm not a Verizon wireless customer.  Do they sell an un-throttled hotspot plan?  If they do, that may be your quickest solution.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
facey007
Enthusiast - Level 1

were you able to get any info or an answer?  i'm in the exact same boat!  

0 Likes
blargh1

Unfortunately did not. I was able to get a competitor to schedule an install, so I'm going with that for now. 

0 Likes
WindyTroy

I also would like to know more about it. Give me more updates about using Hotspot. Thanks!

0 Likes