How much RAM does verizon internet have dedicated?
Hardofhearin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Using GT704WG hard wired to Gateway 3 Ghz 2048 MB DDR2. I-MAC wireless in another room. Verizon is ISP. I have 1300 MB free RAM after I log on. Less as I surf. (win xp sp 3).

I wouldn't normally think of Ram as an issue when they only used, to put 512 mb in these things and they ran alot faster.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How much RAM does verizon internet have dedicated?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The install CD configures your router for access, sets up your username, etc. It should not install any software, only help configure existing software. Verizon's DSL and FiOS services are "plug and play" with most computers.

If you have installed other software from Verizon (Verizon Internet Security Suite, etc) and it is using a lot of memory, then it may need to be re-configured.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

How much RAM you are utilizing has nothing to do with your ISP. It has to do with your computer and the software you have running. If your browser is using too much memory, then you need to troubleshoot your browser.

Hardofhearin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon provides the software I am questioning, RAM usage?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Which software?

0 Likes
Hardofhearin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Somegirl,

I thought it was software when i inserted the verizon set-up CD. The cooridination between the computers and the modem/router. The http://home.verizon.net  where i log in after set-up led me to believe the relationship exsisted. RAM usage.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The install CD configures your router for access, sets up your username, etc. It should not install any software, only help configure existing software. Verizon's DSL and FiOS services are "plug and play" with most computers.

If you have installed other software from Verizon (Verizon Internet Security Suite, etc) and it is using a lot of memory, then it may need to be re-configured.

Hardofhearin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a TEST i can use and determine the health of my RAM. Like most people i hate throwing away things when questioned, do i really want to delete software as it may affect the running of other applications. But with all them games, emails, viruses, pop-ups, etc. over four years of deleting anyways. I was determining if my system is slow? Or, is the internet network that is slow? And my computer is good?

0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

Win XP has a utility called 'Task Manager' that you can use to determine which (if any) programs are hogging processor capacity or RAM.

Right click on the Task Bar and select Task Manager. Click on the Applications tab to determine what programs are running; click on the Processes tab to determine which application processes are using processor capacity and RAM (Mem Usage).

BE CAREFUL. Tampering with any of the items displayed can cause serious system degradation --including failure to reboot/run.