Re: INTERNET SERVICE WITHOUT PHONE LINE
icequeen1

Dry loop service is no longer available.

0 Likes
icequeen1

I am notunderstanding go to your public utility agency..what will they do

0 Likes
BIRDIES1

How did u find out dry loop is not available anymore???  I was just thinking about doing that because really don't need my home phone and the bill. 

0 Likes
ulfkdn

You could subscribe to the least costly internet connection and then by yourself an Ooma telephone system.  We did and it costs only some $6-$8 per month.  The cost is only the federal and state taxes.  The unit costs somewhere around $129.00, easy to install and you'll never have any other costs.  We also call overseas for some $.03/min.  We reduced our Verizon bill by some $43.00+/month

0 Likes
jimmo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Mike_VZ,

I'm not "Paulina24." But I am a current Verizon residential customer and read your post here.

What is the monthly cost of that "Dry Loop" (High Speed Enhanced) Internet service, with no telephone? Would the cost be just what the current itemized price (approximately $34.00 per month) is on my Verizon bill with the phone service? Or is there an increase in Internet price if one drops the phone service?

I ask because I have the opportunity, because of my medical disability and low-income status to obtain a free Android phone and mobile phone service from SafeLink Wireless through the Lifeline program. Plus, for better, more stable phone service when at home (and still retaining my cordless, desktop and wall phones) I have a personal connection to obtain a free magicJack kit. And the magicJack service (VoIP) itself is only about $60 per annum (or $5 per month). So my phone needs would then be more than adequate. I don't talk on the phone much anyway (compared with many people), but would require that solid Internet connection for magicJack service.

I mainly use the Internet for watching online videos (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) through the ROKU device connected to my Smart TV set, the TV itself which also has some apps and Internet video ports. And, of course, I also use the Web to access my emails. But it would be a significant reduction of monthly costs if I could eliminate my Verizon landline service. My longer-term plan is to also have an attic/rooftop antenna installed and cut the cord completely from my Comcast cable TV service as well.

With the costs of food and tobacco always increasing, cutting down on utility costs would free up more finances for those and other essentials. My housing is pretty stable, as my condo is self-owned, the mortgage paid off and only a reasonable monthly condo fee. But there are still quaterly property taxes and a city water bill. I have fuel assistance which helps with the electricity and heat. When one subsists on a fixed income, one must try to be even more thrifty about regular expenses.

Anyway, I would appreciate if you could answer my question about that "Dry Loop" monthly service cost. Coming across your post from a Google search was just what I needed to find.

Thank you.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the board that best matches the subject of your message. Thanks!

0 Likes