Installation Delayed due to COVID-19
Mads2345

We were just informed that all installations will be put on hold for an indefinite time in our area, even after being assured that they were essential and would be able to come and install. They also said, without giving a reason, that we do not qualify for self installation. We cannot live and work from home without wifi. Is anyone else having this problem? Tired of dealing with their rude tech support who can't give reasoning, can't give a timeline, and frankly can't answer any questions. Anyone else having this issue, what have you been told? 

0 Likes
Re: Installation Delayed due to COVID-19
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Internet speed and the ONT model in your house is probably the main reason. Older ONTs are limited to 75/75 mbps. Any speeds over 75 mbps will require an ONT upgrade and ethernet run. 
You can try @VerizonSupport on Twitter or VZ Direct at dslreports.com. Maybe they can setup your order for 75/75 or 100/100 is you have a newer ONT then you’ll be able to do a self install. 

0 Likes
Mads2345

Update: We ended up switching to Xfinity, since they are the other provider our apartment accepts, and they could do self installation at the same speed for a lower cost. Too bad, because we like Verizon but they should really learn how to keep their customers updated ahead of time instead the day of their supposed installation. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon, like many companies, has had rapidly changing work rules regarding COVID-19.  It's unfortunate that they didn't communicate this clearly to you.

Work that involves the fiber must be done by a tech.  If premise has never had FiOS or if the ONT is the older model, a tech must be dispatched for the install.  And that's not happening now.  I suspect that was the reason self install was not an option at your home.

It's good  you have another ISP available.  Some people don't have options and are really stuck.

0 Likes
facey007
Enthusiast - Level 1

thats whats happening to us.  we were told 2 days before they were coming in that they weren't going to do the installation.  and i've asked them to at least do the install from outside the house (like they say they're doing) so that i can do the self-install inside.  but they refuse.  customer service is a joke.  i wish i could go with another ISP.