Internet/Router issues and new "secure email"
NavyCPORet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm supposed to have a 35MPS internet plan. When I switched to the higher speed plan, I paid for the Verizon router and installation.  I have both a Mac and Windows 7 Laptops as well as an older netbook.  To say that the wireless connectivity sucks would be complimentary.  I've used the automatic troubleshooter....I've looked through forums and followed advice on settings etc...with no joy.  Before I "upgraded" I had my own belkin n router.  Even though the router is downstairs in an office , with the belkin, I could connect on my back deck and all but the furthest upstairs rooms in the house.  Since I "upgraded"  the wireless won't stay connected with line of sight 8 feet from the router so we have cables trailing thru the living room.  For the brief moments when wireless is connected it is slower than dial-up.  The cabled connection seldom exceeds 10MBPS ( this is where they tell me the plan is "up to" 35MBPS")

We have a mountain home with DSL and a VERY basic wireless router.  Both the Mac and PC connect effortlessly and even my very untechsavvy wife mentioned how much faster the 3MPBS DSL service is than FIOS.  Her next question "Tell me again why are we paying so much for FIOS?"

The latest debacle (forget that companies choose to not learn from others mistakes, think Netflix here) is the new secure email settings. I updated my Mac and my android in strict compliance with the Verizon directions and for a few minutes all was well.  Today I can't connect through my android.  An "authentication error receiving" message show up with a note to check my settings only I HAVEN"T CHANGED MY FLIPPING SETTINGS!  Now I have to go in and re-enter my account password several times a day to get into my email account when the PW is stored in my phone!  I consantly have to rest the Mac as well. (Hmmm no yahoo, gmail  issues and they are free....)

To be fair I haven't called in the issue with the wireless connectivity because I have called before on other issues and frankly I don't have the time to wait on hold.  The last time I had a "technical problem" with my service I ended up telling the tier 2 tech how to fix the problem. 

As a Quality Assurance /Customer Service professional,  the one thing I can tell Verizon is that there is no marketing campaign that will overcome word of mouth reports on poor service and response.  I installed FIOS years ago when it was first available in my neighborhood.   Service was reliable, customer service responsive and capable.  That all seems to have gone by the wayside to improve the bottom line.  Volume can go a long way to masking attrition for quite a while, but it isn't sustainable.  The cable companies in my area have an even worse reputation which is the only reason I've not yet left...and that's a really crappy reason to stay.

I understand that it's the processes and the system which are hosed up.  The poor CS reps are customer facing and they take it on the chin for every corporate decision viewed as stupid by customers. There may be a few really bad customer service reps, but the majority of  CS reps DON’T come to work to see how many customers they can **bleep** off.   CS Reps are only as good as the process under which they must work.  When working with organizations and speaking with CS reps one question I always ask is "How long would you put up with what you put out if you were dealing with another company?"  Then I suggest that the leaders/managers attempt to call in with a problem using only the same avenues available to paying customers.  

Companies should also must realize that the "cancellation fee" they threaten people with is usually about a month and a half worth of service.  After that it's money back in the consumers pocket, or more likely into competitions pocket and not in Verizon’s pocket.  It’s the principle of the fee that keeps customers hanging on.

Now that I’ve vented if anyone can tell me a better router to use than the one Verizon gave me, I’m all ears.  I really don’t care about remote accessing my DVR.

0 Likes
Re: Internet/Router issues and new "secure email"
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@NavyCPORet wrote:

...Before I "upgraded" I had my own belkin n router.  Even though the router is downstairs in an office , with the belkin, I could connect on my back deck and all but the furthest upstairs rooms in the house...

...Now that I’ve vented if anyone can tell me a better router to use than the one Verizon gave me, I’m all ears.  I really don’t care about remote accessing my DVR.

Since you already have the Belkin and know that it works well, I would suggest hooking that up to the Verizon-supplied router and using that. Turn off the wireless from the Verizon router.