Larger Drive for FIOS DVR?
gfullertx

Has any one heard that you can get a larger drive from Verizon for a FIOS DVR?  Or is there any way to replace the one that is in there with a larger drive?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Larger Drive for FIOS DVR?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You cannot swap the drive but future releases of the IMG software coming down the pike here soon will allow you to connect an external drive to increase capacity.

If you want read about what's planned read the following:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-IMG-1-8-Release-Notes/ba-p/234356

Jim

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You cannot swap the drive but future releases of the IMG software coming down the pike here soon will allow you to connect an external drive to increase capacity.

If you want read about what's planned read the following:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-IMG-1-8-Release-Notes/ba-p/234356

Jim

gfullertx

Jim,  thanks for reply.  That is great news.  I hope you get to the Southlake install base sooner than later.

0 Likes
gfullertx

Jim, one thing that is not clear is eSATA going to be in 1.8 or another release?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gfullertx wrote:

Jim,  thanks for reply.  That is great news.  I hope you get to the Southlake install base sooner than later.

Nah, it has got to come to Keller before Southlake Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gfullertx wrote:

Jim, one thing that is not clear is eSATA going to be in 1.8 or another release?

Planned for 1.9, at the end of 2010. But of course it could drop out, or the release could be delayed.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
gfullertx

OK, so I'm a little disappointed but probably not enough to spend $500 on a Tivo

0 Likes
paladin72
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes,yes,yes

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@gfullertx wrote:

OK, so I'm a little disappointed but probably not enough to spend $500 on a Tivo

You can get one with about the same size drive as Verizon's DVR for $199 and then add an external drive size of your choice. So yes perhaps $300 depending on what drive you want. So it is an added cost. Some people prefer the Tivo guide and features, and give up the VOD and widgets.

They are running a promo now for $0 down and $19.95 a month which includes service subscription. I wish they had this last year. I have had mine for a year now and it is the older TiVO HD. They are giving some good deals right now. Perhaps I will violate TOS by posting this. Smack my hands.

http://www.tivo.com/promo/pricepackage/index.html

0 Likes
Re:1.9 (formery re Larger Drive for FIOS DVR?)
Roger5563

The article also says "

• Guide data improvements "
  • Comcast and FIOS both use TV Guide branded guide content (I assume that is what you mean by data).

However, despite the fact they are both TV Guide branded, the Comcast guide is far, far superior.

On movies, it gives star (* to ****) ratings, wich are very useful.

And it includes proper descrptions of the movies, i.e.a general feel for the type and direction of movie.

Current FIOS on the other hand. No * ratings. And the text is terrible. It is basically a summary of the film, often INCLUDING the key plot events, and sometimes the climax. It gives away the film, It is awful. The only savng grace is half the time it is wrong, so you aren't sure it is a give away. Pretty poor saving grace,

Please change providers to whataver source Comcast uses.

FIOS is better than Camcast in most ways.

This is one place (and a fairly important one), where you are far worse.

Thanks,

Roger 

0 Likes