Misinformation on termination fee
Scruff2

When I renewed my service several months ago, I was told that there would be no termination fee if I end up moving in with someone and that person already has a FIOS account.  I also called a few months ago to verify this, since I got engaged and was selling my house and moving into my new husband's house. This was confirmed as the policy. However, today, when I called to terminate my service, I was told that I am being charged a $130 termination fee and that what I was told before was incorrect. This time I am told that the fee is only waived if the new place has no FIOS service. Of course, the first guy told me  a line just to make me sign up for the 2-year plan, because I would never have signed up, knowing I was going to be moving.  He probably got a better commission that way. This is what I hate about Verizon. I have been a cell phone customer since the early 90s and FIOS customer since service was available in my area, and Verizon has a real problem with how it trains its phone call reps. They say whatever it takes to get you to sign up for something, plus, every time I call, I often get a different story. I have also been told one thing on the phone, e.g., they will give me increased internet speed for free, only to find out when I look at my bill that I am only getting it for free for 1 month, then being charged (sneaky tactics to increase my bill and again, get a better commission). Also, if you don't pay attention to your bill, if you have a 2-year plan, when that period is up, they automatically start increasing your monthly rate not just once, but multiple times, unless you call to complain. They do not reward longevity at all, and in fact, you are at a disadvantage if you are long-term customer; you get charged more. I am really sick of Verizon and its unethical tactics.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Misinformation on termination fee
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately, it pays to read the fine print.

And what they told you about moving to a place with no FIOS service could be misunderstood.

It means that you can transfer your service only.

If you would have moved to an area where FIOS service was not available, you would have to pay ETF as well.

Congrats on the engagement.

0 Likes
Gold4

Well that was useful feedback. Not. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Gold wrote:

Well that was useful feedback. Not. 

I think the other replyer told you a fact. We are customers helping customers not employees of Verizon.

however let me give you some information. A contract is a contract via the written particulars not verbal. So in this case you receive service for a certain length of time for a certain dollar amount minus any discounts that end within that term. 

Now think of this in regards to your move, because another person has Fios under their own account does not negate your contract. Your account is one account, the friend your moving in with is another account. Two separate accounts.

your moving to this other account holders home is not a forgiven loss. The early termination fee is owed since you moved. I would have not entered into a contract. So we live and learn.

basic premise here is not what the people on the phone told you or did not tell you it never removed your obligation to the early termination fee. Verizon could forgive it only if they want to. Two are in the contract not just one.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes