Moving to no service area, ETF charged
zbut

When we signed up for Verizon FIOS, we knew that we might be moving within two years, so I specifically asked about the Early Termination Fee if we move to an area that we cannot transfer our service to. This ended up being the case, and now we are stuck with the ETF. Upon cancellation, I was advised that there were options to sign up for month-to-month services to avoid an ETF. This would have been helpful information when signing up initially. Instead, I was advised that we could sign a two-year contract, and the ETF would be waived if we were unable to transfer our service to our new address. Situations such as these are frustrating because I felt I did my due diligence before signing up, and I would have gone with a different service if I knew that I would be charged an ETF in this scenario. This situation will definitely give me pause if Verizon is an option again in the future.

0 Likes
Re: Moving to no service area, ETF charged
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

From what I have seen, it is pretty common for most if not all cable providers to have an ETF if you enter in to a contract.

And they will try to enforce it even if you move out of the area.

0 Likes
malikta

I recently had to move from New Jersey to Texas for my job. Last week, I spoke to a Verizon FioS representative who was very helpful in closing my account - I asked politely and was told my early termination fee would be waived since they didn't offer service in my new address. I then returned the equipment and thought the issue was resolved. This morning, I called in to confirm the account was closed and there was no remaining balance. However, this time, I got a very rude customer service agent who told me I would have to pay the early termination fee. I know she's just trying to read off their policies but it's amazing how no one at Verizon is on the same page. Internal communication is severly lacking and that's obvious when you have to repeat your name, account # and address every time you get transferred to a different deparment (this last call, i was transferred 4 times - and thus, had to repeat all that information 4 times). Verizon FIOS is not offered in my new neighborhood in TX but somehow, they want to penalize me for this. I agreed to pay an ETF as long as Verizon provided the services we agreed upon. However, Verizon is unable to provide these services to my new address and yet, it is the customer who suffers. I'm still not sure how this will all turn out as I asked the rude customer service agent to have a supervisor call me - I was told I'd hear from the supervisor in the next 48 hours. Still, if they end up charging me an ETF because they didn't complete their fiber buildout in Dallas, then I will definitely never be a Verizon customer ever again. It's quite unfortunate because up until now, I was very happy with my service - I just have no tolerance for impolite customer service agents.

I will be moving back to New Jersey in about one year - if they waive the ETF, I'll come back to Verizon. If not, I will definitely never be their customer again. If they don't meet their obligations under the contract (which is to provide me internet, tv and phone to my residence), then why should they expect me to live up to my obligations? Just to be clear, I would have happily stayed with Verizon if they had service in Dallas.

It's amazing that one poorly-trained customer service agent can completely change your entire view about a company!

Sincerely,

Disappointed Verizon Ex-Customer

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They may do some level of adjustment for you.

But pretty much all of the major providers charge an ETF.

And I beleive in most cases if you move out of their service area, they will bill you.

Otherwise, you would need to go through some process to provie you had in fact moved and just weren't trying to get out of your contract.
Think of how that would be for you and them.

0 Likes
fedupwithveri

I am in the same situation and I do understand that this is a business but what about customer service and wanting customers to return.  I asked Verizon to change my service to the new area and since they could not, I was left with no alternative but to cancel.  If I wanted service and you could not provide it then why am I being penalized?  They don't even work with you.  Maybe if they made you believe that they valued your service you would want to return.  I will never use their service again.  I would rather look out of the window for entertainment then to subscribe to Verizon!!!!  I get you probably get this on a lot but maybe it should be on a case by case basis instead of a flat out NO!!!  I am very upset that it is handled this way and that there is no room for a resolution other than your way!!!

0 Likes