My personal webspace
rambro
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I am trying to build a personal website. I don't know if this is the right forum for this but  here goes. I am designing my webpage in the Mozilla Firefox browser. I a trying to use a text box to enter text in, however the text box is grayed out. Can not type information into it. I am using the Verizon web page service that goes with my triple play of Verizon (free webspace 10 mb). I am right now using only 1.0% of the allocated space.

I then tried using Internet Explorer 7.0 on my computer. When I used I. E. 7.0 it asks me to install the following addon which I did (MSXML 3.0 sp10). I installed the addon, and still the Verizon website does not bring to the my personal site (it brings back to the same page) so I can't edit it the webpage. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get the text boxes to work. Should it be this hard to build a web page on this site? Hopefully it should be an easy remedy. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

I am finding that trying to get support to ask the above questions a tough task.

In addition, what ftp server should I use if I have to upload any files to my website, I have an ftp client, just need the ftp server that Verizon uses to handle the task.

rambro40

Re: My personal webspace
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@rambro40 wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to build a personal website. I don't know if this is the right forum for this but  here goes. I am designing my webpage in the Mozilla Firefox browser. I a trying to use a text box to enter text in, however the text box is grayed out. Can not type information into it. I am using the Verizon web page service that goes with my triple play of Verizon (free webspace 10 mb). I am right now using only 1.0% of the allocated space.

I then tried using Internet Explorer 7.0 on my computer. When I used I. E. 7.0 it asks me to install the following addon which I did (MSXML 3.0 sp10). I installed the addon, and still the Verizon website does not bring to the my personal site (it brings back to the same page) so I can't edit it the webpage. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get the text boxes to work. Should it be this hard to build a web page on this site? Hopefully it should be an easy remedy. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

I am finding that trying to get support to ask the above questions a tough task.

In addition, what ftp server should I use if I have to upload any files to my website, I have an ftp client, just need the ftp server that Verizon uses to handle the task.

rambro40

FTP Server Information     

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@rambro40 wrote:

Hi all,

rambro40

First, IE 7 is not the latest version. If you insist on using IE, you should update to 8. Second, there seem to be some issue with sitebuilder and Firefox, namely many people getting the issue you described,

As for Sitebuilder not opening in IE, make sure you have the pop-up blocker turned off. It opens in a pop-up window, so it's blocked if you don't allow it.

rambro1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi somegirl,

I tried upgrading to IE8 but it cause my computer to crap out. I had to reinstall the operating system (Windows XP professional sp2) and reinstall all my personal documents. Therefore IE8 is not an option. I tried turning off the popup blocker to IE7 and and accepting all cookies. Still the browser will not let me edit the web page. As for the ftp situation, I still can't connect to Verizon's ftp server. Thanks.

rambro40

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Try running IE with no addons (should be an option if you right-click the icon) and see if that helps. There are many toolbars that have additional pop-up blocker features that aren't always well-documented.

inanyminute
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mozilla does not allow me to edit in sitebuilder; I log in through internet explorer and if you still have problems turn off sure you have your popup off.  Good luck what is your website have you finished.  I'm having problem with the name and Google ads

0 Likes
inanyminute
Enthusiast - Level 2

If your computer rejects the Internet Explorer you should allot yourself a good hour and get on the phone with Tech support, its part of the service and its the only department I have found answering phones at night time, The rest of Verizon is closed, they will walk you through it or at least let you know exactly what you have to do; dont get off til they do. They always do though.  Lots of luck

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If IE8 won't install properly, there's probably another underlying problem that should be addressed. After reinstalling any install of Windows, here's the order in which I perform the computer set-up:

1. Once Windows starts up for the first time, I give it one reboot. From there, I immediately pop open Internet Explorer, visit the Microsoft Website and install the latest Service Packs.
  2. I install any remaining updates from Windows Update, including the latest copy of Internet Explorer
  3. Any drivers needed to run the system are installed
  4. Security software is installed
  5. Any essential programs used along with files are copied onto the computer
  6. The system is tuned and locked down so that trouble doesn't occur to it again.

The Sitebuilder software has never worked nicely with Firefox. It seems to be something that works the best in Internet Explorer 6. IE7, 8 and 9 along with every Firefox build always have something going on with them that Sitebuilder does not like.

Truthfully, I would stick to using FTP and WYSIWYG Editors such KompoZer to make a website. Sitebuilder is great and all for beginners, but it's a picky thing to use. If you know how to code, Notepad++/The Crimson Editor come in handy for writing code by scratch.