Re: Need technical information on FiOS installation
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You can leave the router in your closet and get a fios network extender which uses the existing coax in the house. https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=A0760&PromoS...

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As far as I know, Verizon does not let users select the ONT model.  It boils down to what equipment the install tech has on his/her truck that day.

The ONT to router WAN connection can be either Ethernet or coax.  Speed tiers of 150 and higher must be Ethernet.  You haven't said what speed tier  you're ordering.  If it's below 150, you can use a coax run between the ONT and router.  In fact, that it what Verizon prefers to install.  If you're ordering a higher speed or just want Ethernet, then you'll want to make sure you have an easy way to connect Ethernet between the ONT and wherever you want the router.

The ONT is essentially a fiber to Ethernet / coax bridge.  It is not a router nor does it have NAT.  It has no user accessible settings.

If you are getting FiOS TV, it is complicated to completely eliminate a Verizon router from your network.  The Verizon router provides services to the STBs.

There are all sorts of ways to hook up non-Verizon routers to FiOS.  The networking FAQ at dslreports.com is full of good information.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Verizon may provide a SLA battery for the BBU or they may try to sell you their new D-cell backup unit for $39.99 (batteries not included).  These batteries power only voice during a power outage.  They provide up to eight hours of talk time.  Internet will shut down after a short time on battery.  Of course, you can plug the PSU into your own power backup.

You'll most likely find that no matter how much advance planning you do you'll still run into issues.  Further, even if everything matches your plans, you'll most likley find yourself tweaking things to make them work better.  You may want to move the router for better WiFi coverage, for example.  You may adjust your power system.

You've already thought this through in about as much detail as you can at this point.  It's gong to be hard or impossible to answer many of your questions, at it really depends on what the install tech decides to do. Remember that the easier and faster you make things for the tech, the more likely they will be willing to work with you to get things how you want.  Don't make their job harder.

If you want FiOS, you should order it, be prepared with your plans but also be ready to adjust on-the-fly if needed.

Good Luck.

edcb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the information.

I wasn't aware of the Network Extender product.  At first glance, it only provides 802.11n service.  My current AP provides 802.11n.  If I get the new 'Quantum' router (depending on what speed tier I purchase) it would provide 802.11ac.  This would be the reason to locate the router in more RF-friendly space.

Thanks for the answers on the ONT network functionality.  I'd probably desire an ethernet connection to the router as I understand that better.  But again, it would depend on what tier I have (or might have down the road).

Yes, I understand that the FiOS router is also involved with some of the TV services.  I know that I need to keep the FiOS router, if for no other reason than to provide the TV capability.

I wasn't aware of the new D-cell BBU.  Is this NiMH cells with charger?  I'd prefer the SLA version.

I hear you with-respect-to working with the Verizon and the installer.  Yes, I want to make their effort easier.  My thought is that the conduit into the wiring closet for the fiber drop would help (I think).

Tweaking the setup is the fun part... 

Sorry for 'beating the dead horse' approach to this.  It's my nature (and engineering background) to explore all details before the fact.  You all have been patient with my questions.  And your answers have helped my effort immensely.

On one of my telephone calls with verizon tech support I spoke with someone that seemed to know a lot about the installation process.  He said that I do have a bit of latitude in the install.  And not that I can perfectly rely on this, but he said that if the installer comes out and I'm not fully ready then the installation can be rescheduled.  He said further that the first installer visit could serve as the 'how could I do this' and the next visit would be the actuall install.  The biggest problem I see (after this dicussion thread) is that the second installer might have different 'stuff; on his/her truck that day.....

I need to have at least one more telephone discussion with Verizon before placing the order.

Thanks again,

EdCB

0 Likes