Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Need to scale back due to job loss

Rob147
Contributor
Contributor

Need to scale back due to job loss

Message 1 of 10
(10,318 Views)

Ok I am not proud of this but I must ask.  I lost my job and money is so tight that I need to shed some expenses.

I currently have 20X5 Internet and TV and regular DVR which comes to 118.00 a month.  No phone line through Verizon.

I really can't afford to keep all of this right now and understand that I could scale back to just broadcast TV for 12.95 a month (I have 3 of those free DCT 700's).  If I turn in the DVR and cut back this way is there also a minimum "DSL" like slow speed that is a hidden option that I could ask for as opposed to cancelling completely (I am out of my contract).

Thanks for all your help in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Telcoguru
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Need to scale back due to job loss

Message 2 of 10
(10,291 Views)
We have a 10/2 internet tier in NY.
Techman28
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 3 of 10
(10,248 Views)

@Rob147 wrote:

Ok I am not proud of this but I must ask.  I lost my job and money is so tight that I need to shed some expenses.

I currently have 20X5 Internet and TV and regular DVR which comes to 118.00 a month.  No phone line through Verizon.

I really can't afford to keep all of this right now and understand that I could scale back to just broadcast TV for 12.95 a month (I have 3 of those free DCT 700's).  If I turn in the DVR and cut back this way is there also a minimum "DSL" like slow speed that is a hidden option that I could ask for as opposed to cancelling completely (I am out of my contract).

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Rob147,

Yes you can get the 10/2 connection and minimum service for 12.95 on the TV to save you some money

CharlesH
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 4 of 10
(10,224 Views)
Either way, contact the customer service dept at 1-800-688-2880.
Rob147
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 10
(10,211 Views)

Why the customer service department in particular?  More effective than billing? Thanks for the info so far.

{font edited for easier reading}

Message Edited by KaLin on 01-14-2009 07:53 PM
CharlesH
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 6 of 10
(10,167 Views)
It's the same dept actually. Everything that isn't technical is the sales and billing office. (csr service)
Cora
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 7 of 10
(9,952 Views)

Now Verizon is offering 1M DSL plan on a 2 year contract for $17.99, online, due to expire 2/1/09. 

Cora

ltaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 10
(9,816 Views)

hi,

i have 768 speed and called to see about getting the 1m service for 17.99 and was bounced all around to finally being told NO because it was for NEW customers!!!!!!!

I have been with Verizon for many many years and do not think it is right for new customers to get better speed and price for 2 years while i can not.

thanks

Justin
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 9 of 10
(9,813 Views)

Itaylor,

I feel the same way, have for years, but not just about Verizon. If you take a look at the offerings from any of the cable companies, AT&T, the satellite comapanies, they all offer the cheapest services and products to new users. It is apparently an industry model that they think works. I am not sure I agree that it works, I think it encourages turnover, where I sign up with one provider for the contract time, then go to another where I get the new user deal, then to another after that contract is over, on and on. I really don't see how that benefits the original company, but what do I know...it seems like loyalty should count for something, and it seems it would be a lot cheaper to get the customer once and keep him than to be going through this game.

Keller, TX 76248

Cora
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 10 of 10
(9,806 Views)

Hello,

I apologize for not giving you more information.

The speed increase is not just for new customers!  It is for all Verizon DSL customers with entry speed levels of 768k.  I know of what I speak since I requested and received the speed increase this Tuesday evening.  It was too late to call Verizon after I read of the speed increase, so I made my request through their "Chat" feature.  I called Verizon today to make sure I would not be charged for the speed upgrade and was told there was no change in my monthly charges.

I read about it in dslreports.  Here is the link: 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21371339-Upgrade-from-768kbps128kbps-to-1Mbps386kbps

Please note dslreports is a forum for Verizon and AT&T customers.  They have liaisons who are connected with Verizon

who can help you.  As with this forum, you must join to post.  Give them a try, you have nothing to lose.

If you decide to use dslreports, please post back and let us know what happened.

Continued blessings,

Cora

P.S.  Yes, the offer for the 1M, 2 years at $17.99 is for new customers.  However, as I said, the upgrade is for everyone.

Message Edited by Cora on 01-30-2009 07:40 PM

Message Edited by Cora on 01-30-2009 07:47 PM
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title