Nightmares aside, having trouble activating my new fios internet service. Need escalation.
bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ordered new FiOS internet connection last week.

Cancelled my existing and well working local ISP connection, hoping to get on the bandwagon of Verizon.

NIGTHMARES since then dealing with customer care.

My home is FiOS ready.

Received multiple promotion letters, or call them spams, from Verizon asking me to install FIOS at home.

Finally decided to switch due to a good monthly rate offer. Plus, FREE INSTALLATION and FREE ACTIVATION.

I preferred installation by technician, in order to have no hiccups.

But was told by sales rep that self installation would be straight-forward and quicker, since technician appointments were available a week later.

I agreed, and ordered FiOS internet, mentioning self-installation, as was advised.

Since the kit arrived, the router is not receiving any signal from the co-ax outlet in my home.

So I cannot progress with activation.

For activation to begin, there need to be signal to the router from the co-ax in wall.

For those who agree, I cannot make the signal travel from Verizon control room to my home.

It is something Verizon should do, and should have enabled the moment they shipped my kit.

To explain this, I have made numerous phone calls, waited endlessly on calls, spent hours on it, did hours of chatting with customer (dont) care, only to be thrown around between departments like a ping pong.

Those reps were not even interested in my concern half of the time.

Finally, one rep understood and is sending a technician to fix the problem of signal not enabled at my FiOS ready home.

But now, they want to CHARGE ME like 100 bucks.

Argument is anything beyond self-install is charge-able, even if it is a FREE INSTALLATION, FREE ACTIVATION promotion order, and problem is with FiOS not sending signal to my fios ready home.

How is my self-install supposed to work if signal to my home is NOT ENABLED, and Verizon is in control of that?

I talked to many in billing dept, asking to waive off the charges upfront, explaining sending signal is Verizon's responsibility.

And they should send it without me having to ask for it. Or atleast send it once I have complained about their mistake or oversight.

But then there is no justification in charging me for this mistake from Verizon.

It is outrageous as well as unprofressional to be charging me, by keeping the signal off.

I was turned down by billing dept as well.

I asked for Escalation Channel, was turned down; then asked to be transferred to the Customer Retention Dept, only to be become a ping pong again.

1) Waive off the technician and what not charges for starting my internet connection,

2) Or, give me official escalation channel details.

Worse than some of my worst experiences in the country.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Nightmares aside, having trouble activating my new fios internet service. Need escalation.
bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

Someone from Customer Support got back to me by email, re-assuring it will all be taken care of.

Glad that finally help came through.

Glad that I found this forum, and some listening ears extending helping hands.

Thanks Elizabeth, and gs0b, for your help thus far.

Much appreciated!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Nightmares aside, having trouble activating my new fios internet service. Need escalation.
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Elizabeth.

The techinician is supposed to come on Friday morning.

So am optimist that the signal issue will be fixed, and I will be able to proceed with self-installation.

Concern is seeing a surprise $100 apprx charges in my bill.

This is what I am hoping to get addressed, with your help.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you know where the ONT is in your home?  If so, check to make sure it is properly connected to the coax.  This may be as simple as a loose or improper connection.

If you'd like help from other customers figuring out what's wrong, just say so by posting here.  Otherwise, continue your private dialog with Verizon support.

Good Luck.

bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks gs0b ..
No I am not aware of the ONT location, am in an apartment so it could be anywhere in the building.

Any help from fellow users is most appreciated.
About the private chat with Verizon agent, haven't heard anything back in private yet. Hopefully its soon.

Thanks once again gs0b.
0 Likes
bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2
Found one cabling unit which I think is the ONT.
Has a co-ax splitter with one IN and two OUT co ax cables connected. Looks pretty well connected.

Perhaps there is another ONT area in the bldg connecting each apartment unit. Either the cable must be unplugged there or it is controlled remotely from Verizon's control room.
0 Likes
bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

Someone from Customer Support got back to me by email, re-assuring it will all be taken care of.

Glad that finally help came through.

Glad that I found this forum, and some listening ears extending helping hands.

Thanks Elizabeth, and gs0b, for your help thus far.

Much appreciated!!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A single family unit ONT serves just one apartment or home.  It should be installed on or inside the premise in an area accessible to the owner / renter.  The ONT is a somewhat large box.  It is connected to fiber, power and one or more of coax, phone or Ethernet.  If that's the box you found, make sure the coax out from it is driving the coax network in your home.  If that's not the box you found, then you didn't find the ONT.

Some apartment buildings use a multi-dwelling unit ONT (or MDU).  This type of ONT service many apartments.  It would be installed in a common area for the building or floor and is not typically customer accessible.  Connection methods to an MDU can vary, so it's best to leave it to Verizon if that's how your building is wired.

Good Luck.

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If your building is an MDU the ONT is either in the basement or a utility room somewhere in the building. There should be a structured media panel somewhere in your apartment which is usually found in the laundry room or a closet in the apartment. This is typically where the wires enter into the apartment. Check there to make sure all of the coax legs are connected. If they are then mosy likely your apartment is not connected back at the ONT and you will need to wait for the technician.

bkotak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

Fixed today.
Internet started.

The co-ax was unplugged in the BDU/ONT room shared for the building 

And the access was restricted.

So guess, only a Verizon technician could plug it back in.

Verizon could have saved me the frustration by making sure they are sending the signal, when they sent the kit.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were invaluable.

Have a good one all !!

0 Likes